Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: G43 For Missus.. But That Trigger !

This is an old thread, but the same problems are still with us. The good wife just cannot get over her flinch with her 43 but with the 19 with a 2 kg connector shoots just fine. Myself also find the 43 trigger troublesome. So the connector is to be replaced as a first option.

2,5 kg or 2 kg? What is the current opinion on this?

I have also read (Google info, so I am asking, not stating), that apparently all Glocks use the same firing pin spring. But the firing pin on the 43 is shorter than others, meaning that the spring is more compressed and thus the 43 trigger pull is still heavy, even with lighter connectors?

User

This has probably been discussed a few times, so I will try to keep it short.

I also prefer the lighter trigger pull offered by a 2kg connector for sport shooting purposes. Having said that, SD shooting is not even close to sports shooting. When the pawpaw hits the fan, we humans tend to react in a certain way. This was programmed (or naturally selected) into us to improve our chances of survival when under attack. When the adrenaline gets dumped into your body, a lot of things change. For a start we get stronger and dumber. A heavy trigger pull is an asset in such a situation, as we will likely not be able to properly and safely control a very light trigger. (This is the short version.)

So, while it is easier to learn the proper manipulation of a light trigger while in the relatively unstressed environment of your favourite shooting range, this is not really what you should be learning if you are preparing to use the G43 for EDC and possible SD purposes. My advice would be to install the lighter connector and get the trigger stroke under control. Do this by dry-firing the pistol a LOT and shooting it very little. (Off course learning and using proper technique is a prerequisite.) Once the trigger is mastered, I would revert to the original 2,5kg connector and learn to use that.

Our skills at the beginning of the learning curve should not dictate our tools. Skills should be learned and maintained to adapt us to our tools.

User

A hah, AR, now that makes a bunch of sense that I have not thought about. Change to the 2 kg connector, get grip and stance and finger position etc under control. Get accurate and confident shooting going on the range and then back to standard. This idea I have never read or heard before and it actually is just brilliant! She is concerned about safety of the 2 kg connector. Thanks.

User

Ok, so got hold of the other connector for the G43. It is having the other number om it than the factory fitted one. I don't have a trigger scale, but according to perception, the pull is a small bit lighter, but there is a big improvement on the trigger break. Much less "mushy" feel before breaking. Quickly had a few shots just before dark on an IDPA dimensioned plate. Myself find the pistol easier to shoot and it shoots right on target. My wife still shooting left (about 6 Inches at 7 yards...!!!), but height is now only 2 inches low. Still flinching a bit, but before the other connector she easily had shots going 12 - 16 inches low when not concentrating hard on keeping the sights on target and slowly pulling and pulling until the shot eventually goes off. From a safety point, the new connector definitely is not making it so light that AD shoeld be a concern.

User

How much dry firing has she done? Have you tried the "R2 on front sight" or "front sight on a spot" trick? Has she had any formal training?
    Are you shooting at an indoor or semi-enclosed range? What earpro is she using at the range? Seriously consider double-plugging to alleviate the noise. If you can get to an outdoor range, perhaps consider that, as you then don't have the concussion of the pressure wave reflecting off a wall.
    Unfortunately this sounds like a driver problem that's not going to be corrected by just sending more ammo down the pipe. Strongly consider getting a reputable trainer (a few of them on here) to help.

User

Jip, it is definitely driver error. The softer pull just reduced the driver error by about 50 % I would say, to prevent negativity. At least now she can hit the target. We shoot outdoors (living on a farm). Dry fires with a Mantis X system to almost perfection. Is also training with one of our SADPA club ladies SO's once in a while. Just six shots per day and the fear will go away... She loves shooting rifles. 10/22 and AR with silencer in her hands is an ammo gobbler. Also enjoys and shoot really well with .22 pistol. So it is fear of recoil and noise etc from a loaded handgun, that is why dry firing with Mantis X is on target but live firing not. We use double ear protection and eye protection etc.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Jip, it is definitely driver error. The softer pull just reduced the driver error by about 50 % I would say, to prevent negativity. At least now she can hit the target. We shoot outdoors (living on a farm). Dry fires with a Mantis X system to almost perfection. Is also training with one of our SADPA club ladies SO's once in a while. Just six shots per day and the fear will go away... She loves shooting rifles. 10/22 and AR with silencer in her hands is an ammo gobbler. Also enjoys and shoot really well with .22 pistol. So it is fear of recoil and noise etc from a loaded handgun, that is why dry firing with Mantis X is on target but live firing not. We use double ear protection and eye protection etc.
    She has probably developed a flinch. It can be cured. It just needs some time and tlc. The biggest factor is in her head. Once she gets past that she should be improving fast.

User

OK, so many of my questions' boxes ticked...
    Does that .22 pistol have a silencer on? If so, perhaps fire few shots with it on, then take it off for a few shots, until accuracy starts to degrade? I know my .22 pistol is rather loud without the silencer (shooting HV ammo, for reliable cycling). I'n guessing though that the .22 pistol is Single Action, so the trigger would be quite different..

How about a few rounds live fire with the MantisX on?

User

.22 is single action, so there is less time for a good old flinch. No silencer. With live fire with Mantis X still flinches if not concentrating real hard. We definitely have a serious flinch problem. It will go away over time. What is just interesting and related to the thread is that flinching was not a problem with larger Glocks. It started when she started shooting the 43. That is why I worked a bit on the trigger as the others we have do have lighter triggers. That had me coming to the conclusion, as is stated also above - Fear of that particular firearm. So I have asked directly. "Why do you flinch with the 43 so seriously bad but not with other firearms." Answer: "It is small but hard shooting so there developed a fear in my head that it will explode in my hands." So gents, there is the whole answer.

The cure: Put the 43 in the safe for now and use the 19. After a few range sessions we will get back to the 43 with 2 or 3 shots at a time until the fear is gone. Psychiatry of shooting is weird.

Thanks for all the input. Only time will sort this one.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4