Page 33 of 60 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 72" x2" Knife blade Belt sander machine build

Did some fine grain sanding paper sanding on these two blades...

Will commence forming the forged blade today..

User

The following items are lined up for forging into projects this coming weekend.
    The ball peen hammer needs to be made into a tomahawk. The rest of the bearings into knives and the axe head into a converted Viking axe head..

User

I am currently busy with a few stock removal knife blades for a family member, these knives will be kitchen knives .
    Tomorrow will be a good day to forge again, has been busy lately , Wallace Vosloo and I did some old equipment hunting in some of the tool shops around Stellenbosch. One shop that really has great tools(new good quality) is NASCO in Voortrekker Weg in Bellville ....
    The two top knife blades are the two 1883 Era Black powder kitchen knives I made for my own collection to use in the kitchen on the hunt...

Notice the saw teeth on the back end of the knife blades..it is a feature that will make these blades different ...

User

I managed to hollow ground these blades ..it was my first time doing hollow grinding...
    I will be attaching the scales today..

User

Good, I did manage to start forging the ball peen hammer , it really takes a great effort to move this thick steel....I completed the tempering process and will commence with fitting of the scales...

Bringing the blade up to critical temperature...to quench..

Fully hardened ..file tested:

Forging the ball peen hammer into a tomahawk..

User

My holiday is coming to an end. Wallace Vosloo and I manage to purchase 25 kg of Borax. I will use this borax in all my forging work. Friday will find me back at home forging and grinding these blades I have done so far.

I will be working on a concept Traveling forge for Beginners. This concept will enable a beginner to start forging using cheap wood and charcoal .

Another project will be me building a huge and heavy anvil ....that is the second project I need to build while building my power hammer as well....

I search for decent anvils but it seems not possible to get hold of ..I therefore will rather spend two thousand rand and build a laser cut/parts anvil than spend R3500 to R7500 on an anvil that has seen better days. I will harden and temper the anvil surfaces ...

Building my own heavy/large anvil seems the obvious choice to make ...

User

The process.
    From a saw blade to a complete hardened and sharpened blade..this process is the basics of charcoal/wood forging. Advantage of charcoal/wood forging due to the high temperatures reached being that you are able to forge large/thick pieces of steel. Disadvantage is probability of burning your steel and consumption rate of wood and charcoal used during the forging process. The rate of airflow through the forge determine the consumption of wood and charcoal.

The three completed blades is fully hardened, hand sanded down to 400 gn ready to attach the handles ..

Banned

What are the spikes on the knife handles for?

User

Om die steakie vas te hou as jy dit regtig rou eet?

User

The spikes are still part of saw blade...when finished the blade will look like a store bought knife..I want the blade teeth to indicate it is a custom made kitchen knife. You can use it to crack a cooked egg, soften up a tough piece of calamari, to test if a piece of fillet is rare or well done, and if you do not like the food you can scratch the cook`s table surface or brake the plate by hitting it with the spike side

Page 33 of 60 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast