Page 38 of 60 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 72" x2" Knife blade Belt sander machine build

Spend some time on a knife I made to process a carcass and fillet a fish. This design is something I made /need for myself, small handle and large thin blade...

Gluing the Tambotie scales :

Tambotie wood scales:

Untreated Tambotie :

Thin broad blade for working inside a carcass...filleting a fish

Sanding sealer/Woodoc finish on the Tambotie scales:

Tambotie is a beautiful wood and work exceptionally easy ...

User

Members, I would like to upload links to information of the different types of wood I am using for knife handles. It is always a good thing to share information regarding our indigenous threes and their properties.
    Tambotie :
    http://pza.sanbi.org/spirostachys-africana

Spirostachys africana is a medium-sized (about 10 metres (33 ft) tall) deciduous tree with a straight, clear trunk, occurring in the warmer parts of Southern Africa. Its wood is known as tamboti, tambotie, tambootie or tambuti.
    It prefers growing in single-species copses in deciduous woodland, often along watercourses or on brackish flats and sandy soils.
    The leaves are small, elliptic with crenate margins, and turn bright red in winter before dropping. The petiole has 2 small glands at the distal end. The grey-black rough bark is distinctively split into neat rectangles. The catkin-like flowers appear in early spring before the leaves. Male and female flowers are borne separately on the same tree (monoecious). The small 3-lobed capsules or schizocarps split into three equal indehiscent segments (mericarps or cocci) when ripe; on a warm day this splitting (dehiscence) can sound like a distant fusillade of shots. The seeds are globose with a chartaceous testa.

Despite its being prone to heart-rot, it is prized in the furniture industry for its beautiful, dense and durable timber, which is reddish-brown with darker streaks, a satin-like lustre and extremely fragrant sweet, spicy smell. The underbark exudes a white, poisonous latex when freshly cut, and campfires that burn tambuti fuel give off noxious fumes contaminating meat or other food grilled on the open flames or coals. The latex is used as a fish poison, is applied to arrow-tips and is used as a purgative by indigenous tribes.

The fruits while green are frequently parasitised by the small grey moth Emporia melanobasis(Pyralidae: Phycitinae). Larvae develop within the growing fruits which show no external damage. When the fruits are mature each splits into 3 cocci. The larvae jack-knife inside the fallen segments, causing them to move about erratically and vigorously, to the surprise of the uninitiated. This has led to the name "jumping bean tree". The Mexican jumping bean, Sebastiania sp., also belongs to the Euphorbia family and is parasitised by the moth Cydia deshaisiana.

VIWwoRY.jpg

Banned

Tambotie burns with a whitish flame and is said to be a hot fire. I have never measured it but we did melt lead once over a tambotie bark fire. If memory serves correct it was 3kg of lead molten into an ingot in roughly twenty minutes.

User

Ds. J, you are quite correct..the high burning temperatures are due to the high oil content in a piece of Tambotie wood. That is why you need to clean all surfaces with thinners/acetone before gluing. I usually scare the surfaces with a rasp/nail before gluing. It ensures a beter course surface for the glue to adhere to.

User

Good, I spend time today to go through my storage boxes to see if I missed some knives I still need to complete and did some organising of my equipment as well. I got hold of four more knives I still need to complete. This week I will focus on working to complete the Anvil/vice /charcoal forge project I am building for my good friend Wallace Vosloo...as well as completing my new charcoal forge to forge longer cable knives and other types of daggers and swords...

User

Good, I spend some time today to make myself a hunting knife. I still need to put it together and work it down until finished. This will be my first ever hunting knife for myself.

User

Spend some time on my first own hunting /bush knife. Did drill the tang/handle to fit pins. Starting to sand down the brass/copper spacers. I want to do some vine filing on this knife as well as inlays ...
    Some Olive wood I cut for knife scales..

The spacers I use:

Threading the holes for pins and to keep every thing together when commencing sanding ..

Press fit the spacers..

Drilling the holes through the handle and tang to fit pins

Lining up everything:

User

Information regarding wild olive wood /Olien hout as I know it:
    http://pza.sanbi.org/olea-europaea-subsp-africana
    (Wikipedia)
    Olea europaea subsp. cuspidata is a subspecies of olive previously described as Olea cuspidata and Olea africana. It has various common names, including wild olive, brown olive, Indian olive,[2] Olienhout[citation needed] and iron tree.[citation needed]
    Description[edit]
    This much-branched evergreen tree varies in size from 2 to 15 metres (7 to 50 ft) high. The leaves have an opposite, decussate arrangement, and are entire, 3 to 7 centimetres (1.2 to 2.8 in) long and 8 to 25 millimetres (0.3 to 1 in) wide; the apex is acute with a small hook or point, and the base is attenuate to cuneate. Leaf margins are entire and recurved, the upper surface is grey-green and glossy, and the lower surface has a dense covering of silvery, golden or brown scales. Domatia are absent; venation is obvious on the upper surface and obscure on the lower surface; the petiole is up to 10 millimetres (0.4 in) long.

Fruit are borne in panicles or racmes 50 to 60 millimetres (2.0 to 2.4 in) long. The calyx is four-lobed, about 1 millimetre (0.04 in) long. The corolla is greenish-white or cream; the tube is 1 to 2 millimetres (0.039 to 0.079 in) long; lobes are about 3 millimetres (0.12 in) long and reflexed at the anthesis. The two stamens are fused near the top of the corolla tube, with bilobed stigma.

The globose to ellipsoid fruit is a drupe, 6 millimetres (0.24 in) in diameter and 15 to 25 millimetres (0.59 to 0.98 in) long; it is fleshy, glaucous to a dull shine when ripe, and purple-black. The tree usually flowers in spring.

The wood is much-prized and durable, with a strong smell similar to bay rum, and is used for fine furniture and turnery.

Distribution[edit]
    An extensive native range from South Africa, through Africa, the Middle East, Pakistan, India to China. Subtropical dry forests of Olea europaea cuspidata are found in the Himalayan subtropical broadleaf forests ecoregion. In areas where it is not native, such as Australia, it is classified as a noxious weed. It is spread mainly by birds eating the fruit.

User

I did some sanding work on the brass/copper guard, I decided against a traditional guard and sanded all material away to confirm with the shape of the handle...There are still some work left ...but this is where I am currently..will upload better photos, it is raining outside...

User

A hippo tooth knife handle knife I am working on..

Wild Olive wood, the best wood to make a fire and braai /making food on these coals are great, since the coals burns quite hot. We use olien hout to make our camp fire on the Black powder hunt...
    It is beautiful wood to use as knife scales as well...

Page 38 of 60 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast