Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60
    User

Default Re: 72" x2" Knife blade Belt sander machine build

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Members I wil compile a beginners course in regards to forging for members who is interested , will keep you up to date in regards to what the course entails..pm me if you are interested , please indicate what you expect to learn from such a course, what you want to learn as wel as what product you would like to accomplish and complete on such a course ..
    Course will include:
    Safety :
    Correct method to light a gas forge
    Correct method to light a charcoal forge
    Gas and Charcoal forging methods
    Correct method of securing the forged material when heating .
    Testing quality of different steels doing spark test/magnet test
    Different types of steel to work with
    Sourcing scrap yard metal/steel.
    Designing/drawing knife blade templets
    Determining forging temperatures
    Correct forging methods:
    Distil tapering
    Drawing out steel on an anvil
    Forging bevels correctly
    Discussing /explaining terminology :
    Annealing steel
    Normalising
    Hardening steel
    Tempering steel
    This will enable you to forge all the basic steps ....I will narrow down the content when compiling a Forging manual .
    Your detail entails basically 90% of all thing a blacksmith/bladesmith needs to know. Irrespective if you want to forge or not, i would say that if the detail as indicated as mentioned, then this is definately a course you want to do

Im definately wanting part of the course..........

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Banned

I so wish I could do it as well, but I've just come out of aspinal operation and it looks like it will probably be months or even a few years before I can start forging

User

Quote Originally Posted by da_asassin View Post
    I so wish I could do it as well, but I've just come out of aspinal operation and it looks like it will probably be months or even a few years before I can start forging
    Da asassin, do not despair, for your unique challenge we can build a power hammer in the near future..it is still another project I need to build myself for myself...along the line/road in the future I will have to make forging easier for myself to spare my body from the effort of hitting with a hammer hours on end...at this stage I still manage to forge /using a hammer to forge at least two blades a day..but soon age will rear it`s ugly head and my shoulders and back is likely to keep forging for long hours...so I do need a power hammer ...There are numerous examples on the internet...here is a photo and a video of some I think will work for me and a person that want to do similar builds...I always keep efficiency and electric consumption in mind ...it can get expensive using too large motors..

User

Good, made some progress, would have liked to finish the work today but my belt grinding machine`s capacitor seems to be having a problem ...I had to do most of my sanding work/filing work by hand , so it took longer than when I work with the belt grinding machine...
    Hardening process photos :
    mWQKESa.jpg
    Two knife blades are in the oven, tempering at 250 degree celsius for one hour .

I do a second cycle as well...
    I have to do some shaping on the large blade, want to make it a Leuko Laplander knife ..the dimensions 220 x 37 x 4 mm thick..quite a large knife ...

User

Tempering completed: 2 x cycles at 250 degrees celsius:
    Before tempering:
    After tempering :

Third phase :
    Profiling, sanding buffing the blades to fit the new type of handles..

User

Progress:

User

Gert you mention starting cap problems. Have tried to spin the motor by hand, just a bit then it is suppose to speed up and run by itself? The starting cap on a ac single phase motor only works for the first half a sec, to the best of my knowledge.

User

Vaal, thank you kindly , will do it today see if I am correct thinking it is the capacitor ...

User

Hi all.

Been building a belt sander iver a course of few weeks and has endless issues with tracking

Is there any specific method of alligning belts that does not costcan arm and a leg

The old method of tracking does not work do to the leverage only twisting the body on a pivot but on a horisontal plane. Yet the wheel is suppose to tilt aswell.... I have addapted this design with an arm. Will post photos later. The arm, bothe the hinge part and the tracking wheel is attached with ball bearing hinges. Yet the belt runs of the wheel.

The tracking wheels is also 5 x ball bearings with and motor has an alluminium 120mm drive wheel.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60