Page 53 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 72" x2" Knife blade Belt sander machine build

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    I always enjoy following your threads, Gert - and you knives are really things of rugged beauty!

Nice post this^^...and it adds to this thread!
    Sweet, great to hear from you again, thank you for the kind words/compliment it is much, much appreciated. Sweet , I feel comfortable making rugged knives, no rules knives, these knives deserve to be use, handle, hunt with , chop with, all day carry knives...to put such a knife in a safe is not my idea of functionality at all...fortunately there are a lot of knife makers catering for "safe " knives...nothing wrong with this idea , it just is not my idea of what a knife needs to be use for...

User

I am currently busy completing a hunting knife: Cape Yellow wood:
    YELLOWWOOD
    Podocarpus
    Family: Podocapaceae

Distribution:
    East and South Africa

Properties

Medium bending and crushing strength, very low stiffness and low resistance to shock loads. Works easily with hand and machine tools, with little effect on cutting edges. Gluing and nailing are satisfactory, and the surface will take polish and paint well.

Uses

Used for furniture making, joinery and fittings. Also for decorative veneers and for panelling.

This wood is not the average knife scale /handle wood I woud use on a knife, but a friend of mine request me to use this wood since it was wood his father used to build a project which they did together..some fond memories of his Father will be with this knife...

Some photos of the brilliant /beautiful Rooibos wood I am using ..

Here are photos of a Kitchen/fish fillet leaf spring steel knife I forge down to this dimensions...

User

I did spend time sanding/working down the Yellow wood handle of the knife I am currently completing for a friend. As pointed out in the description, the wood really works down smoothly. It definitely is not a wood I will use as knife scales or any object that is used extensively, Yellow wood is just too soft ....although it really gives a fine finish and sand down to a high polish..it is a dream to work with when putting it to the belt grinder, no resistance of build-up on the sanding belt at all...will upload photos of this nearly completed knife tomorrow..

Photos of a big Yellow wood tree in the Knysna Forest:

User

I made some progress , here are a few photos of the knife I am currently completing for a friend..
    I still need to shape the back end of the knife , work down the sharp edges and angles, then it will be time to sand the handle down to 800 gn and finish it with a Boiled Linseed oil mix..

User

Good, I had time to work on my single burner gas forge..I aligned the burner and attached it by using a removable bridge of flat bar. Here are some photos:

This is the type of gas forge I am building to sell. If there are any members interested in a single burner gas furnace to order just pm me . I want to build two single gas forges to sell. My work is guaranteed ....

User

Good, spending time on my preparations for the 1885 Era Black Powder hunt...when completing this hunt I will spend all my time on completing the single burner gas forge and two extra build to sell. Another item I am in need to add to my knife making equipment will be a newly build Vacuum chamber to stabilize all the handle material I want to fit to my knives..it will give a higher quality finish to the final product. I am gearing up to make knives to sell as well as leather products..

User

Good, members, since it is workers day I did just that, worked the whole day non stop..I forged a mini chopper from raceway bearing steel...something I wanted to do for a long time...this will be use in the 1885 Black powder kitchen and part of my hunting outfit...
    Here are a few photos ...this was only the forging part, the second part will be grinding to finish shape,,then hardening and tempering being the third stage , fitting the handle and mosaic pins the last part , this time I want to pull a vacuum to stabilize the wood, I will pull a vacuum on the Red bush willow wood I am going to use for the handle..

Will upload more photos as I make progress..

User

Something I want to point out...in this photo you will notice the dents in the blade all along the top part of the blade..this is texturing I am doing..when the blade is forged completely this really gives a great appearance ..

User

hi all. please help. made a coffee canister forge as per youtube.......... yet i can not find any design, gas flame, plumbing fittings for atorch head that will run on lpg or other. only option is the normal plumber torch which i do not think will uphold the high heat required.

any assistance will greatly be appreciated.

User

Quote Originally Posted by GeRoNkI View Post
    hi all. please help. made a coffee canister forge as per youtube.......... yet i can not find any design, gas flame, plumbing fittings for atorch head that will run on lpg or other. only option is the normal plumber torch which i do not think will uphold the high heat required.

any assistance will greatly be appreciated.
    Google mini-Mongo burner, plenty of info and drawings.

Page 53 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast