Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47
    User

Default Re: 72" x2" Knife blade Belt sander machine build

Good luck Gert

User

Update:
    I am currently using charcoal I am making myself for forging work I am doing . Here are a few photos of a re-curve chopper /bush knife I currently am busy forging. This knife is for a friend who gave me a lot of Giraffe bones. I completed a few Japanese type of kitchen knives in the meantime...I try to forge this blade as near it`s finished condition as possible..ensuring I forge the bevels as well as the distill tapering of the blade..this ensures I save on gas..the gas forge I use only for completing the blade and heat treating ....
    On the anvil I usually draw a templet of the designed blade ...as I forge I try to replicate this drawing on the forged blade...it gives me a sense of scale and dimensions as well as the design of the blade....

Looking at this photo you will see how hot this simple traveling forge with charcoal heats up the leaf spring steel..

In this photo you will notice I welded a piece of flat bar to the blade...I do not use thongs to forge..I believe it is a dangerous practice ...hitting a hot piece of steel while holding it with a thong usually causes the steel to shied away on contact landing usually on you ...with dire consequences ...

User

Update: I am working towards a finished blade ...these two blades I am forging now is for the friend who gave me a lot of Giraffe bones...here is a photo of the travelers forge and an example of how high temperatures are reach when forging :

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47