Page 17 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 72" x2" Knife blade Belt sander machine build

It seems I need to build a new grinder because these grinders in the pics are on a whole different level.

Sent from my SM-G900F

User

Had some time today to mill the knobs for my belt sander, this will be three knobs, I will cast another roll of aluminium later this week... here are a few photos, Photobucket is off line..I will try another method..click on the photos to expand please....
    P1011087.jpg
    P1011088.jpg
    P1011089.jpg
    P1011091.jpg
    P1011092.jpg
    I will sand the grooves down tomorrow and complete the lathe turning work Wednesday....

User

They look exceptionally good Gert.

User

Good to hear from you again Von Gruff. Are you currently busy with another knife?

Since this is a building project I want to build as many parts myself for interest sake ...I will be getting the sanding belts this weekend . I already have a motor I think will work, at least until I can purchase one that is a dedicated belt sanding motor...

User

Yes I have been playing with knife patterns and have the ones I want done in hardwood but eventually I will do them in steel although these ones stand up well to being scribed arround

The slaughterman with skinner 1 and 2 then a boning knife

2 hunters with a boys knife

A steaking knife, kitchen slicer, salami knife and a small paring knife

I am going to have to get a bigger motor for the grinder as with the different pulleys to bring it up to 3000sfpm the motor overheats and cuts out after a while so something stronger is in order. I am busy trying to source another one at the moment. I have an order for a number 1 skinner and while I can do that with the present motor if I do it a bit at a time and let the motor cool down (so it dosent cut out) it is certainly not ideal but shows the promise for when it is up to full power

User

Very very nice designs Von Gruff. On the subject of motors, a local knife maker - Neels Van Den Berg - gives some advice on motor sizes:

User

Thanks opocza, that is a good demonstration of the requirements. I had thought to get a 1 horse but after seeing that I better get a 2 horse which seems to work out at about 1.5kilowatt.

User

Von Gruff, the different types of knife designs are very good. With this assortment of designs you will be kept busy for a few years...my reason for commencing with knife making is exactly what you do, to make knives for my household and myself to use ....and an occasional knife for a good friend... I am to go through the same learning curve regarding the appropriate motor for my knife sanding machine..I will commence with a strong cut-off machine motor just to get me going, the belts I will collect this weekend ....I plan to to build a lot of accessories to assist me in making knifes on an except- able level.

My forging needs to be on par as well..the coming month will see me doing a lot of forging and knife making...

User

Had time today to complete my first knob for the sanding machine. I will melt aluminium again and pour it into the thread cavity to seal the top of the knob and turn it smooth again so the bolt thread will not be visible ....I did this without the use of a divider head...it is not bad at all I will be getting my sanding belts this weekend,I will ask Ian regarding the price of the belts if someone want to order belts as well.. the sander will be completed by next week ...Still need to do some final polishing on the buff Here are a few photos:

User

That sure beats taking the handle off a worn out gate valve like I did Gert. Lots of ways to skin this cat huh?

Page 17 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast