Page 24 of 60 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 72" x2" Knife blade Belt sander machine build

Regarding the hammer used in the video to do the forging , this hammer is great to move steel, it is full of a lot of spring, it is easy to use and a song to hammer with. Ian Mills are making these hammers...I bought a hammer from Ian as well as my friend Chris Moolman and we really like these hammers a lot.

The forge is a old braaier converted to a forge..I did a lay-out with refractory bricks and covered the bricks with termite mud...I use charcoal and a blower and get a lot of heat, it is easy to burn a ten millimeter piece of steel if keeping it too long in the furnace..I will substitute the blower with a leaf blower since it has different adjustments for different speeds...

User

Looks great!

User

Thank you Kaptein, I appreciated...my intention is to focus on knives use to slaughter /processing meat. I want to make knives for kitchen use as well...this is the only reason I commenced with knife making at all. I will make knives for the 1882 Era Black powder hunts as well...and a nice knife or two for myself and a few friends...

User

Making knives for killing and processing meat is the most practical thing a man can do and has been our main need since man first hunted for survival. The knife maker was one of the most respected members of the tribes as it was his skill making knives, arrow and spear heads that was as important form the success of the actual hunting to feed the family

User

Yes, Von Gruff, I concur....I do hunt with my Traditional De-flex/Re-flex Osage /Tonkin bamboo -backed 45"pounds self made bow and want to make my own arrow heads to hunt with. I will take my bow to the 1882 Era Black powder hunt in 2017....I really hope to hunt something with this bow. Ian Mills , made a few different stainless steel blades that was hardened and tempered after it was laser cut ...it really is a great way to make your first knife when starting with the knife making hobby....all a beginner needs to do is to fit a handle/guard and grind a bevel to the blade...I will ask him to upload a photo of these semi-completed blades...I was thinking of ordering a few of these blades but in a design of a slaughtering /meat processing knife.....it will ensure I have the opportunity to get hold of slaughtering knives since I frequently need to slaughter cows, sheep and pigs for house hold use...

User

Update:
    While on holiday in the Cape I got the opportunity to get aluminium angle and flat bar pieces from a company , Alu-Tech in Brackenfell...this will be used to build one adjustable knife bevel grinding jig and two other types of knife bevel jigs...I sourced these designs from U-Tube....Here are a few photos of the items as well as a lot of stainless steel nuts and bolts....

User

Update:
    As always when on holiday I am looking around for items to enhance my forging capabilities. I managed to purchase this blower on a flea market for R150 , all in working condition, needs some paint and attention but will work great with my charcoal/coal forge.

User

I completed my first knife bevel grinding jig today and commenced grinding, I did not do too bad, the plunge line seems to be done correctly. I will upload photos.

User

Update:
    Members, I managed to turn a new shaft for the
    belt tensioner today...I will be completing the tensioner next week . The bevel jig will follow soon. I did not have a lot of time to spend on the knife making hobby lately..the gunsmith shop and family time kept me real busy..

User

Bawesome blower you have there Gert . I have alll I need for forging , EXCEPT . I can't find an anvil for a reasonable price anywhere, hell I can't even find one for any price.��

Page 24 of 60 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast