Page 25 of 60 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 72" x2" Knife blade Belt sander machine build

They crop up in antique shops from time to time. Ardendorf carry a line of cheapies that should do in the meantime.

User

Gert, I read through the whole thread and all I can say is hats off to you.

I'm also trying my hand at knife making and at the moment I'm using a belt sander clamped in a vice. I would love to build a machine like yours.

I taught myself how to weld about 2 years ago and I'm getting better. I will start looking for all the components and hopefully be building one like this soon.

Thanks a lot for the inspiration. I really admire people that can work with their hands and build awesome stuff like this!

User

Methos, thank you kindly for the kind words , it is much appreciated. It seems building the machine was a challenge but I enjoyed every moment, especially the aluminum casting work. The irony of it all is that although the machine is completed I do not get time to make knives...I am always busy with something else...But I will eventually get to that stage as well...

Proceed by visiting scrapyards..when walking through the scrap yard, keep in mind what you are needing for the project...you will find these parts/items , it will take time but eventually you will have enough parts to work with...make use of a shop that do laser cutting of steel..a large steel/metal shop...
    This type of build takes time....but just begin...

User

Thanks Gert

Regarding the laser cutting of the steel - I live in France and a while back decided to build a reverse flow smoker. I guestimated that the firebox should be 70x70x70cm - which was WAY too big. I went to the local metal shop to ask them to cut down the pieces of iron. They quoted me €275 to cut 6 plates.... I ordered new ones of 45x45cm for 120€ from a friend. I decided to keep the 70x70 cm plates for building a huge smoker if I get get round to starting my meat smoking bussiness.

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...se-flow-smoker

I've got a friend that works at the scrap yard so I'll explain to him what I need and he'll let me know if he finds something.

Good luck with the knife making!

User

Update:

Members, it is a while since I had a chance to focus on improving my knife blade belt-sander machine. I did removed the previous shaft of the tensioner wheel , it was to thin in diameter ...I now had a chance to replace it with a 30 mm diameter shaft.

I only need to turn down another ten millimeters along the shaft`s length to move the aluminum roller towards the center of the line for the belt to centre when doing some adjustments...when completed tomorrow I will commence finishing the previous blades I already forged...
    I need to prepare Giraffe bone tomorrow as well to enable me to use it as scales for these knifes...

My first priority is to complete a knife for my good friend Chris Moolman and another friend, Fritz Rabe who wants a Bowie knife....naturally I need to complete a few knifes for own use ....

User

The belt tensioner /new shaft system is working just fine. I commenced sanding the first bevels on the bush knife for my good friend Chris Moolman. The coming week will see me processing knife scales material like Giraffe bone, Tambotie wood, Olive wood , Buffalo Horn , brass pins ect. I need to commence working through all the required processes from forging a knife blade to fitting the scales onto the knife blade.

The first batch of knives will be for the 1883 Black Powder hunt in 2018.

The new shaft, stronger than the previous shaft, the aluminium is still the original one that I cast previously .

My aluminum bevel sanding jig:

User

A few photos of the knives I am working on..there are still a few more I had forged already that needs to be processed.

Another photo of the sanding jig:

1883 Bush knife I am working on now:

A bevel stopper that is a great help when you want to make sure the bevels start on the same point on both sides..the knife is a ball bearing forged into this kitchen knife.

User

A video of the sanding machine working excellently with the new tensioner:

User

Members, I am commencing collecting all the material I have accumulated for forging/making knives the past two years. Indigenous wood types I really have an abundance of. More specialized material like Buffalo horn , Giraffe bone I do have a large cache of that too... Steel types like leafe spring steel , bearing steel , steel cable and stainless steel templets I did received from my good friend Ian Mills as well...

I am planning a December holiday doing a lot of forging and knife making .

Here are a few photos of materials/knife blades I forged previously. Notice the assegaai blade, this was my first cable forged item ever. My good friend Herman Nel assisted me throughout the forging process...

A few forged blades, including the stabbing assegaai blade from cable..all three items were forged from cable ..

Some material I collected, leave spring, Tambotie wood, Giraffe bone( still need to be processed) thick leather straps for knife blade handles...these are a few items I collected that forms part of a large collection of steels, wood and specialized materials like buffalo horn, giraffe bone ect..

I will spend this week starting to complete these blades I already forged.Including these blades as well, naturally..

User

Members, after doing an upgrade on the belt tensioner wheel, it seems logic to do an upgrade on the two platten roller bearings as well. This was needed since the small bearings could not handle the pressure of the belt . I did upgrade to a sixteen millimeter diameter screw rod that I turned down on the lathe.
    The reason for using a screw rod is to assist in the centering and lining up of the rollers with the drive wheel and tensioner wheel.
    I will be locking the threaded rod into place by using nuts to secure the shaft.
    Here are a few photos of the process...
    Turning the new recess for the larger bearing to fit:

Centre drilling the shaft to thread a bolt for securing the bearing

Making sure the thread is done correctly:

Shaft being threaded:

Bearings fitted into the rollers:

Job completed, now to fit the shaft to the platten sidewall :

Page 25 of 60 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast