Page 31 of 60 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 72" x2" Knife blade Belt sander machine build

Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    Love this thread.
    same here

User

Khola/The Beast, thank you kindly for the positive replies, it is much appreciated.
    I will be taking the two burners with me on holiday, I need to complete the gas pipe part .

User

Good day all members. I did manage to purchase more parts for my gas burners. I went to a market today and purchase a few hammers to assist me in my forging endeavors....I need to build a forge to forge two knives for members of my family. I will use this build as a build for : Beginners forge build and forging project. It will be a cheap method but a very effective forge every one can build and use as a beginner...I will upload a lot of photos as a make progress...

User

I will commence shortly building a "Traveling forge ", this will be a project enabling forging anywhere a person is going on holiday...this axe head conversion will be one of the projects I will do with the Traveling forge...

User

Good day to all members. I completed the "traveling forge for beginners". Here are photos of this project. I will substitute my own burner with a permanent burner so my family members wil be able to start forging, they really want to learn how to forge..
    Find a air conditioner refill gas bottle from a company who deals in air conditioners and re-gas. Cut the third top part of and bolt together to form a steady base.

Construct/drill/grind a hole on the side for the burner to fit in...connect it to a hair blower ...

Fill with charcoal and start forging ...

I really would like your comments in this regards, if you have a plan to effect better changes to this set up , I really would like to hear from you...

User

Members, today Wallace Vosloo and me went on a equipment shopping tour..I really did get hold of excellent equipment for my forging work..here are a few photos:

Forging hammers , some still need to be restored :

Engraving chisels :

Small needle files galore...

I am so fortunate as to got a lot of equipment from my father in law.

User

Commenced with forging this morning. The forge really get up to extreme high temperatures. I need to check that the steel does not burn...Members, I am in need of someone who will be able to weld these two pieces of spring steel to a piece of flat bar so I can get a better heat onto the whole piece of spring steel ...are there any member around the Durbanville area I can bring the pieces of blades to you to assist me in welding the flat bar pieces to the blades???
    0842062257, The Paddocks 5 , Bowlers avenue /pm me if you can assist..
    Forging set up.:

Anvil:

User

Completed the first blade . I had to move the blower back since the hairdryer`s speed is too much ...this forge works great with wood. extremely high temperatures are reach. There are a few changes I need to do to this forge set up to make it a functional forge for beginners..Notice the distance between the forge drum and blower ....some photos:

I had some misfortune with my hammer...

User

Members, it seems I am experiencing a problem with uploading photos. Will continue when this problem is sorted out.

Will upload directly from PC.

Did some sanding work:
    PC295842.jpgPC295842.jpg

User

Some lessons learned:
    This "Traveling forge for beginners " has some important issues to take notices of.

Extremely high temperatures is reached when using a hairdryer , even when put on the lowest setting.

This forge will run on any type of material use to forge with..especially wood . it really makes for great forging temperatures.

I would suggest you invest in a blower that is highly adjustable (Hitachi, Ryobi) you can purchase at a tool/machine shop.

You need to have a longer pipe connected to the forge for better control ( I moved the blower a fair distance away from the forge, as seen in the photo.)

I will be able to forge weld any cable/thick piece of steel at this high forging temperatures.

There are a lot of options to tailor made this forge and I will definitely improve this forge .

A better photo:

Page 31 of 60 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast