Page 43 of 60 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 72" x2" Knife blade Belt sander machine build

I am preparing for the 1883 era black powder hunt coming this week..here is a viking type axe I am working on, hope to forge weld it tomorrow so I can take it on the hunt..a knife to process a carcass as well.it nearly is completed...I will be using Borax to forge weld the spring steel inserted into the ball peen hammer frame. The reason for inserting a piece of spring steel in a ball peen hammer frame is to have a sharp and hard edge on this axe...

User

Spend some time today to paint the second gas forge body:

User

Gert where did you source your borax from?

That axe head looks great,I have a vehicle to fix,grips to make and 3 knives to complete. Please stop distracting me with other ideas.

User

Trayton, good to hear from you... Yes, I really like making axes..it definitely will be one of the usual items I will be making as soon as my blacksmith shop is done . Here are two photos of before and after...I did spend some time buffing the knife..I might have over done it since it really is shining a lot,...not what I had in mind for a 1883 Era black powder hunt bush/camp knife....
    Before:

After:

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post

That axe head looks great,I have a vehicle to fix,grips to make and 3 knives to complete. Please stop distracting me with other ideas.
    Trayton, I bought it from a Chemical company in the Cape. I will be bringing up forty kilograms of industrial borax back in December. This Borax is dehydrated , no impurities ...it really works great. You should consider using bearings and cable to forge knife blades..it is cheap and rewarding..bearing is the best steel I have ever forged ..it really kept it`s edge ...though it really is tough and difficult to drill holes through..even when I annealed the handle/tang...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    I am preparing for the 1883 era black powder hunt coming this week..here is a viking type axe I am working on, hope to forge weld it tomorrow so I can take it on the hunt..a knife to process a carcass as well.it nearly is completed...I will be using Borax to forge weld the spring steel inserted into the ball peen hammer frame. The reason for inserting a piece of spring steel in a ball peen hammer frame is to have a sharp and hard edge on this axe...
    The blade in this photo is forged from bearing...notice the hole drilled halve way into the blade handle...I need to epoxy the scales onto the handle...

User

Gert I had a similar issue making a knife from claw of a cane loader, I can imagine the bearing is another story all together.

Can you post a pic of the cables you are talking about? I do have cable laying around, do the strands bind with the heat and hammering or did you weld them?

Banned

Bru, believe it or not, my niece was hunting for Borax to make Slime for a school project.
    Ended up getting it from Dischem or Clicks

User

Gert I had a similar issue making a knife from claw of a cane loader, I can imagine the bearing is another story all together.

Can you post a pic of the cables you are talking about? I do have cable laying around, do the strands bind with the heat and hammering or did you weld them?
    Trayton, the cable with fine strands will will not work. Stainless steel cables will not work. Cables with thick strands will work if you can get them up to forged weld temperatures , white hot and use Borax. Not the borax you buy from shop shelves..it does not work at all.. The drag line cables from mines work it is solid six millimeter steel strands ...I am still to forge them, have a lot of pieces sources from a scrap dealer...most of my materials I forged I source from the scrap/metal dealers..leaf spring I purchase directly from a leaf spring company , un -hardened leaf spring from their retailers. The advantage is that new leaf spring..it ensures you have no cracks in the steel..what happens to me previously..I ran into pieces of leaf spring steel that did not oil quench or water quench to harden..now I use it as templates for future designs...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    The blade in this photo is forged from bearing...notice the hole drilled halve way into the blade handle...I need to epoxy the scales onto the handle...
    Hi Gert.

What did you quench the 52100 in, and what was your final hardness after temper?

I have a huge amount of very large spherical roller bearing rolling elements at my disposal that will make good blades... would be interested to hear your experience and results.

Regards, Luke

Page 43 of 60 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 ... LastLast