Page 46 of 60 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 72" x2" Knife blade Belt sander machine build

Trayton, I am fortunate by having this traveler`s forge..the charcoal really gets the steel up to forging temperature..this enables me to move thick steel faster..the hotter the steel, the faster you move steel with a heavy hammer...it will take me about two more days forging non stop to forge this chef knife to measurements..the next step will be to take it to the belt sander for final shaping and sanding..

User

Members, a few more photos of the forging work on the large/heavy chef knife I done today...I am getting there , I will complete this forging work tomorrow...then it is time for the belt sander machine to liberate this knife from the forged piece of leaf spring steel ....I commence preparing a few more pieces of bearing steel and is busy to prepare a small axe as well .....
    great piece of bearing steel for a chef`s knife:

small axe:

Banned

Vice-grip is a mans best friend when things get hot!
    Looking good!

User

Niki, I am not confident in using forging thongs..it is difficult to keep the forged blade/steel secure when hitting it with a hammer, I previously burned myself when such a red hot piece of steel jumped out of the thong jaws and landed on my stomach...I really jumped around for quite a while, while conversing in French, Spanish and German,,at last I was able to say a few Afrikaans word as well when I looked at my shirt and see the enormous hole I burned into a nice , expensive shirt...I want to purchase large vice grips and weld elongated jaws onto it to secure the hot piece of metal ..to avoid such injuries in the future..

User

Sounds like you were reduced to a hot mess.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    Sounds like you were reduced to a hot mess.
    I was nearly a hot mess...it is unbelievable how easy such a burning hot piece of steel burns trough skin and cloth..fast footwork ensured me avoiding a skin transplant for sure....

User

I have learnt the hard way that a leather welders apron is not just for show...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    I have learnt the hard way that a leather welders apron is not just for show...
    In this song, the person indicates , you need to do at least one dangerous thing a day to make life worth living...https://www.google.co.za/search?q=su...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Good, I am currently busy completing the large chef knife I forged from a thick piece of leaf spring steel.I do this in two stages..stage one being the forging of the chef blade from the leaf spring steel.

Stage two:
    Doing straightening of the blade frame as well as forging the blade to taper from the spine to the bottom where the edge will be.

Then forge a taper in from the back of the spine to the sharp point of the blade

Stage three:
    Normalising the blade by bringing it up to forging temperatures three times and then let it cool in the fire until cool and the coals all burned out.

Stage four :
    Grinding the shape finally and commence with a full face grind as all chef`s knife grinds are done.

Stage five:
    Hardening /Tempering

User

I am currently forging various pieces of ball bearing/taper bearing material for kitchen knives...
    Here are a few photos of today`s work:
    My Travelers forge:
    Simple but extremely effective :

User

Members, I commence with a set of knives from a specific country..the first country`s knives I want to make is Japan..I want to use their method to forge weld mild steel and High Carbon steel to make their many different style of knives. Here are photos of some of the Japanese knife designs I am going to make.. I will use bearing steel as the high carbon fusion with the mild steel process the Japanese masters are using to forge these knives...the blades will be thin and light ...the Deba knife will be a heavier knife...

Page 46 of 60 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 ... LastLast