Default More free airtime for GFSA

Shamelessly exploiting victims once again. This is story 1 of a media campaign.

Girls on Fire should probably fire back with stories of surviving rape, murder etc.?

Media24 giving also GFSA outright support - see end of article.

Gun violence and the tragedy left in its wake

By: Nurahn Ryklief
    23 August 2016

Credit: Supplied

When a young mother is gunned down in a friend's home, her mother is left to pick up the pieces emotionally and financially.
    In August 2015, 32 year-old Brenda Nyala was shot and killed in a friends’ home by an intruder. The death of the young mother of three left her family reeling both emotionally and financially, as they tried to answer the why’s while picking up the pieces caused by the tragedy.
    “Please God help me.”
    These are the first words that left the lips of 63-year-old Mabel Nyala from Gugulethu when she was told that her daughter, Brenda, had been shot and killed.

It was 3am when Mabel’s cell phone vibrated next to her as it rested on the bedside table. The voice on the other end of the line delivered news that would forever change the trajectory of Mabel’s life, as it told her that her beloved daughter had been fatally gunned down.
    The details that surround her death are sketchy, no one has been arrested and the investigation is continuing, but for the family that remains, no conclusion can bring peace to their hearts.
    “Brenda was my helping hand. She worked sometimes, but couldn’t find anything permanent so she would help me and my older sister sell vetkoek from a container.
    She always wanted things to be bigger, she would take the vetkoek and put it in a basket and walk to schools and community centres trying to sell more. She knew our family needed the money and she always worked hard for us.”
    Financially, the toll of Brenda’s death has been a weight firmly on Mabel’s shoulders as she provides for her daughter’s three sons aged 4, 9 and 14 with the money she receives from her government grant and takings from her vetkoek sales. However, she says they will be okay because of the emotional support she receives from her sisters.
    “Brenda is gone, but we want the boys to know that they have many mothers within all of us.”
    “The eldest son is having the most difficult time. I’m older and don’t know how to help him through what he is feeling because he misses his mother. We’ve taken him to a counsellor and I am really hoping it helps him. We’ll pray it does.”
    “I can’t take away what happened to Brenda, we live with it every day, but I can do something. I talk to my grandchildren about creating safer communities. They are young so I hope they will be able to make a difference.”
    Mabel’s story is one of many stories of women who have survived gun violence either directly or indirectly.
    For more information on how to make South Africa a safer country by reducing gun violence visit Gun-free South Africa.

User

Default Re: More free airtime for GFSA

just read this as well

hows the cheek of contacting gun free sa

funny how gun free sa doesnt have the balls to stand up in parliament and ask " HEY MK VETERANS WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL YOUR GUNS POST 1994" IFP PAC what happened to all your self defense units guns????

but i suppose its easier for them to go get a short haircut, wrap a scarf around their necks, maybe smash a castle lager out the can and complain how shitty "men" are

This story has vanished from the landing page, and is not listed on the W24 on the landing page.

But its still there: http://www.w24.co.za/Wellness/Mind/g...-wake-20160823

and it the first article on the Wellness section landing page.

I don't recall stories being moved so quickly. Did someone call them on it?

User

Its interesting to me that the antis are always trying to reduce GUN violence. Maybe we should all concentrate on reducing VIOLENCE period. Maybe because it will screw with their 'stats' because reducing gun has no (or maybe an adverse) effect on violence in general?

Sadly it seems yet again GFSA believes a firearm convinced someone who other wise was not criminally minded to go out and kill someone.
    Maybe its because I frequently clean mine that its in a happy mood. And never convinces me to go out an do crime.

If there was no firearm with the person who had intent to kill her. He would have stabbed her. If there was no knife.
    He would have used some other blunt object to kill her. If there was nothing. He would have beaten her or strangled her.
    If there was intend to go kill. No matter what, the BG would have killed.

Quote Originally Posted by thereaper View Post
    Its interesting to me that the antis are always trying to reduce GUN violence. Maybe we should all concentrate on reducing VIOLENCE period. Maybe because it will screw with their 'stats' because reducing gun has no (or maybe an adverse) effect on violence in general?
    Gun violence does not exist.

It is a term invented by the anti-gun crowd for their own purposes.

They have no interest in reducing violence, but must come across as extremely caring.

There is rape, robbery and murder etc. However, if you create a fictional category which focuses on the weapon, you get to ignore everything else. Thus it is quite educational to ask an anti, if you ban guns, will fewer people get stabbed?

The proper response though, is for our own firearm owning women to tell their stories of survival thanks to being armed and demand the same airtime as GFSA.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Sadly it seems yet again GFSA believes a firearm convinced someone who other wise was not criminally minded to go out and kill someone.
    Maybe its because I frequently clean mine that its in a happy mood. And never convinces me to go out an do crime.

If there was no firearm with the person who had intent to kill her. He would have stabbed her. If there was no knife.
    He would have used some other blunt object to kill her. If there was nothing. He would have beaten her or strangled her.
    If there was intend to go kill. No matter what, the BG would have killed.

The silent issue here is: she was attacked in her home by a BG who felt safe enough to do so. Once he was in, she had no means of defending herself. Her death may have been avoided had she been able to defend herself. But that doesn't fit into the Wellness column for some reason.