Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Last resort EDC knife

I need some advice from the more knowledgeable people here with regards to a small fixed blade knife for EDC. This will be purely for self-defence and not to cut random things.

My current general use knives are either a Spyderco Delica 4 or SOG Aegis depending on my mood. They get used for everything from cutting biltong to boxes and whatever else.

So far I've identified the CRKT Keramin (R500), like the price point of this knife and then the Ka-Bar TDI Law Enforcement (R1100), which is slightly more than the maximum my budget stretches to. Both these knives offer a belt clip to carry, which is a positive point to me, as I will be carrying on the waist.

Are there any other options to consider in a similar price bracket and also anything in particular that I should lookout for or avoid with these types of knives?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Last resort EDC knife

Yeah, the Nemesis that Erebus will be making one of these days :-)
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Also checkout Mojo knives on FB. He makes some brilliant edc knives, including a version of the Kabar Tdi you mention, at very very reasonable prices. I think his TDI was going for something like R975 with a custom kydex sheath included.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

User

I'm actually looking for a small fixed blade edc myself, and the problem with the quality overseas brands is that you won't find them for under R1000. So my next knife is from Mojo. Great quality, really good price. Or from Erebus! Would loves me a Nemesis!

User

Nice eh?

Banned

I won't use the Keramin as a last ditch knife because of it's handle. It is simply too small and a good grip, except for a wobbly reverse hammer grip, is very hard to get.

Get something which you can use: something you can / have trained with. A smart knife without the knowledge to use it is not so useful.

I would go for a straighter blade, or if you want a karamibt -type knife, get something which can stab as well. I met a guy EDC'ing a Victorinox (https://www.victorinox.com/global/en...Knife/p/5.3100 and http://www.zwillingonline.com/30720062.html) and that got me thinking - small yes, but a long grip and a very fast thin cutting blade.

User

LDK knives are designed to be just that, your absolute last tool in the box.

I carry a cold steel spike as a LDK. It will work. And is not too small. Remember if you need to get to that knife chances are that the fight has gone to ground and your options are disappearing fast. So something mid-sized with a small footprint is ideal.

Consider carrying it IWB attached via a static line loop because as you say if this blade comes out then its time for business. I carry mine around my neck.

Stay Bladed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I met a guy EDC'ing a Victorinox (https://www.victorinox.com/global/en...Knife/p/5.3100 and http://www.zwillingonline.com/30720062.html) and that got me thinking - small yes, but a long grip and a very fast thin cutting blade.
    This is becoming more and more popular, 2 years ago I knew of maybe 5 guys doing this, now days it is what all the clandestine rambo's do. Especially old Ed, however it's application and reasoning is faultless. Cheap knife that can be thrown away if needed. Can be bought at most grocery stores. Comes sharp out the box so to speak. A few well aimed cuts to the face or neck and you will dissuade most attackers.

It is most certainly not a blade to overlook. It will do the job.

Stay Bladed.

User

I have owned both the knives you mentioned. The keramin is a very thin blade with quite an angle. In my mind, a last ditch knive may need to be used to stab and be put into someone from a tight position, so I prefer the straight bladed CRKT Minimalist. The TDI has a more suitable blade IMO, but the weak point is the sheath that comes with it. There are better sheaths available online for it, but another option is to look at the "Retainer" from Xavier Knox, a locally made improvement on the TDI. His "Nasty Bastid" design is next on my list of fixed blades

User

I actually posted a picture of my Keramin, Minimalist and two Echo Delta blades in the GS facebook group if you are on it

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast