Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Mastercraft or Gedore tools?

Also have a gander at WILL, I have both a pair of pliers and the bigger side-cutter bought about 16 years ago. The plier came out with a brittle handle material back then that would crack when dropped, Will replaced it twice, no problem and the third plier had the new rubber handle which doesn't crack, well it hasn't in roughly 15 years. The side-cutter is an absolute gem and has never developed nicks on the cutting edges, for all intents and purposes looks like the day it left the factory.

If you are really flush, buy Knipex. I inherited a Knipex pump plier from my dad when he bought a new one on a sale. It is 40+ years old and still works very well, it also doesn't pinch your fingers. The new prices are eye watering though.

For normal DIY tools, buy Mastercraft, AMPRO or King tony. All have a no issues replacement warranty. Modern Gedore is overrated/ expensive for what it is. It doesn't qualify as premium imo, if you want premium you need to look at StahlWille, Britool, Snap-On etc and of these I would put Britool and Stahlwille a cut above Snap-On.

User

Agreed 100% , old gedore perfect , they must have been imported or made elsewhere, new one's I find they are bending and faces aren't lasting starting to open up
    I am try a Wurth set of spanners

User

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    Also have a gander at WILL, I have both a pair of pliers and the bigger side-cutter bought about 16 years ago. The plier came out with a brittle handle material back then that would crack when dropped, Will replaced it twice, no problem and the third plier had the new rubber handle which doesn't crack, well it hasn't in roughly 15 years. The side-cutter is an absolute gem and has never developed nicks on the cutting edges, for all intents and purposes looks like the day it left the factory.

If you are really flush, buy Knipex. I inherited a Knipex pump plier from my dad when he bought a new one on a sale. It is 40+ years old and still works very well, it also doesn't pinch your fingers. The new prices are eye watering though.

For normal DIY tools, buy Mastercraft, AMPRO or King tony. All have a no issues replacement warranty. Modern Gedore is overrated/ expensive for what it is. It doesn't qualify as premium imo, if you want premium you need to look at StahlWille, Britool, Snap-On etc and of these I would put Britool and Stahlwille a cut above Snap-On.
    Now you are talking! My dad gave me this set which he bought many many years ago and i absolutely cherish it:

Although he used it without any sentiment, this box only gets opened by me on "special" occasions.

Further i have to say this Gedore kit is an absolute winner! Did some heavy work with it on occasion but i am no professional. I do know individual component replacements are easy to come by should something break. (Not that cheap at all when buying items separately):

I have no idea with regards to quality on older kits vs earlier ones. Bought mine 2005 at Makro.

With all said, i would absolutely love a set of Snap-On!

I have no experience with Mastercraft, but usually judge a complete tool set with the quality of the ratchet. (There might be different opinions but this is what worked for me so far) and was not initially drawn towards MC.

Edited:

And before i forget, this is my gardener's set. It is his pride and joy... (and it gets the most common work done.. )

User

Nothing wrong with Mastercraft. I have both and for the money Mastercraft is the better value. What the hell do you do to break a socket or spanner?

User

Quote Originally Posted by LoopSoosStroop View Post
    Nothing wrong with Mastercraft. I have both and for the money Mastercraft is the better value. What the hell do you do to break a socket or spanner?
    Use manpower ;-)

User

Also started out with a cheap tool set and as things break or wear out I'm replacing them with Mastercraft. To date I've done screwdrivers, pliers and sockets.

Only reason I took it over Geodore is colour, in my book red wins.

Banned

crescent - have not met another who know's of Crescent Tools. Stahlville Cresent Gedore in that order and if you have a business - theft loss and abuse - Mastercraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Medic View Post
    Look at crescent tools as well. Good quality, as is King Tony.

You can get Kennedy tools at a reasonable price now days too.

Stay Bladed.

User

That is a very good deal

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

The 60 pc Gedore set is back on special at Makro until 25 Dec 2016 for R2999-00.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast