Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Being part of a Squad... a newbie primer

This is just a quick primer on what’s expected if you are a new competitive shooter.

Being part of a squad is par for the course in competitive shooting. There are plenty of things happening. Someone is shooting, RO/SO’ing, Scoring, patching targets, picking up mags and brass, re-setting plates, re-setting props etc.
    Let’s say we have an average squad of 10 odd people. There are things that need to happen, not all at the same time, but still things need to happen.
    In the ideal world, breaking down the squad this is what you have.

1 x Shooter
    This is the guy that’s banging away and hoping for as few misses as possible, with the fastest time he/she can muster.

1 x Standby
    This is the guy that prepping and planning how he/she is going to beat the squad with their awesome time. He/she does not do anything bar mentally planning his shoot.

1 x 2nd Standby
    As above and getting his head in the game, making sure he has what he needs for the stage. This person is also not useful to the squad, as he/she is planning and checking gear.

1 x SO
    Runs the stage and makes sure everyone gets home alive and without leaks.

1 x Scorer
    Makes sure that what your shoot is recorded correctly. Calls out shooter order and helps make the SO’s life easier.

1 x Completed shooter
    Busy at their range bag, loading mags, dumping brass etc, so that he can become part of the squad again.

So in a 10 person squad, this leaves only 4 people to re-set the stage, pickup brass and patch targets. So often it’s only one or two of those 4 people that actually help resetting the stage.

One of the four is probably making as if they are picking up brass, and they may pick up one or two, but they are actually running the stage and looking for an advantage with foot placement / angles etc.

If someone else is constantly busy with their phone, camera, chatting to spectators or generally loafing or not helping. Then it’s a long day, and people like these really affect the moral and good nature of the days shoot.

The minute a squad drops to 7 or 8 shooters in a squad, things either speed up as people in rotation start working, or it slows down as there are fewer people working. I have found that typically it speeds up.

If you get a chance, take a look at the so called “A Squad”, at leagues or larger matches. They really stand out miles ahead of every other squad specifically for the well-run squad that they are. EVERYONE does their bit, it is impressive to watch. Everyone just gets stuck in, and they are done and dusted in no time.

Tips for working in your squad.

1. Pick a job. Patch x targets each time. Reset X plates each time. It does not matter. Just go ahead and do the same thing, others will fall into the same pattern.
    2. Once you move into rotation, someone else will fill in (at least they should)
    3. Once you come out of rotation, find a new job.
    4. Try not to be a patch hog. Do something else.
    5. Leave your range chair at home.
    6. Take some time to thank the SO’s. Very often they don’t get the benefit of being on standby, to the detriment of their shoot.
    7. If you can afford it, try have more mags than you require. Africa Champs 2016 showed this to be the case.

Note that this is based on an average club shoot where the SO’s are rotating with the squad and not static. Static SO’s are a real bonus.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

User

Default Re: Being part of a Squad... a newbie primer

So...

What happened last weekend and more importantly, who through the first punch?

User

Tac houses are a real pain the ass when there is a joker/loafer in the group causing a gap in the job rotation.

Then when you rotate to standby (I've rarely been on a club shoot were there is the luxury of a 2nd standby) the target do not get patched, popper or swinger not reset and then you as the one of the guys actually playing along that end up with a mystery HONT shot or having to reshoot a stage (if you are real "lucky" you get to reshoot it twice)

User

I'm all for discipline and I have called on shooters to do their part. However, the more I shoot, the more I realize that the social aspect of the sport is more important to some people than the shooting itself. Pissing off the guy at a club shoot because he is taking his time, talking to friends, helps no-one. Sure, everyone needs to be able to enjoy it and therefore brass needs to be picked up and patches need to be patched, but certainly (at club level) this does not need to happen in perfect sync.

Quote Originally Posted by G33 View Post
    So...

What happened last weekend and more importantly, who through the first punch?

LOL, nah, this has been on my PC for a while. We are very hectic, I just needed a break so finished it and posted.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

User

Also important is:

1. When the shooter has finished shooting the stage, the box (demarcared area) belongs to the next shooter who is busy doing his walk-through. Get out of the demarcated area. Give the next shooter the best opportunity to do a proper walk-through. If you are picking up doppies, be mindful of the guy doing his walk-through.

2. When everybody are doing their walk-through, just after the briefing, exit the stage at the back and walk around the stage to the line of guys waiting to do their walk-through. This gives everybody a nice old chance to do a proper walk-though, without some twat getting in your way because he is moving "upstream".

3. If you are lazy and do not work during the shoot, you will be spotted and marked. Don't stand around and wonder why no one is picking up your doppies. It's because you are a lazy ass.

User

EXIT OUT THE BACK OF THE STAGE!

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    EXIT OUT THE BACK OF THE STAGE!
    Back and around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Nice write up Trundle. There are people who I have spotted who consistently do F'all in squads and I avoid their squads like the plague when I see them.

User

In reply to an old post, seems very few readers or the wrong readers took note of what was said and not said. A couple of years later and the post still holds true, half the squad is lazing around, even bringing their own chairs !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast