Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned

Default Re: An old hunter's opinion on the 375

I have thought about this as well. Though it seems unlikely for our understanding, this particular hunter knows his stuff and if he says so I simply accept it. As a young man he sat at Sangiro's campfire; he also knew a few of the other legends personally.

User

Excellent post, thanks for sharing!

User

Nice post. Crickey my Afrikaans skills are so marginal these days that it took ages to read the post .... and then there was the translation below ...

I like my 375 H&H more than any other rifle I currently own. Its a do anything gun ... and yeah, I'm happy to pay a PH to carry his .4something Magnum, or better still his .5something Magnum to watch my back. I don't need that job.

User

Thank you for the translation sa-shooter. It was an interesting piece that is echoed by so many of todays writers, in that it is bullet placement that is paramount and Messor 's piece is almost the crux of the matter
    If people had soft point failures, caliber.
    If the solids of the day bent and tumbled, caliber.
    So if someone used a specific caliber for the first time and everything else failed except the caliber, the blame was put on the caliber of course and that negative comments quickly found it's way into magazines.
    close quote

There was also the matter of shooter's lack of technical knowledge of the bullet composition and what it was designed to do in many cases with the 318 WR as a good example. The 250 gn bullet was a very good bullet for heavy game and gained an excellent reputation but the 180gn soft bullet was similar in apearance and some got into trouble using that with startling failures on heavy game where the 250gn bullet would have been verry effective. Fortunately there was enough positive reportage for the cartridge to prosper but there were, and still are a lot of "hunters" who have very little understanding of the technical side of the cartridges they use, so the cartridge is blamed when it has been a poor choice of bullet or marksmanship which almost none will admit to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2