User

Default BP Competency in the Cape Town area

I have been toying with the idea of a BP rifle and revolver in .36 for quite some time.
    But the law is crazy, if I want the weapon, for display or shooting need a BP license.
    I understand the shooting part, not the other, as no actual firearm licensing is required by law.
    I see BP (local manufacture is back), so here is the question.
    Who what where does one attend a course to obtain the necessary clearance for BP in the greater Cape Town area.
    An internet search delivers bupkis.
    Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated
    J

User

Default Re: BP Competency in the Cape Town area

I did mine with Keith @ FBSSC.

When he has a few guys interested he runs the course.

The best option is to pay and collect the book, do the test etc, then when he has a couple of guys you are ready to go.

One of my buddies has his book etc, so he is also ready to go.

User

Default Re: BP Competency in the Cape Town area

You will have to first do your BP competency at a registered center and then after approx. 2-3 months, you then take the SAPS issued competency card, make a certified copy of your card, a gunsmith letter verifying the weapon is indeed a muzzleloader (VIP!!), fill out all SAPS forms, copy of ID etc. and apply for your Explosives permit from the SAPS explosives unit in your area and then after about 3 weeks you will get your BP permit....and then you are good to buy powder etc. You will unfortunately have to apply for a licence for any black powder revolver you want to put into your name, as this now qualifies as a firearm under the law (stupid!!) You do not need a licence for a single shot BP pistol (thank goodness). Good luck and enjoy the smoke!