Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Amberg 8mm Mauser

I own a 1916 Amberg Gewehr 98.
    The woodwork has been replaced, the bolt handle bent down and a double set trigger was installed. The terrible Lange rearsite is still on the 29inch barrel and a messed up front sight
    The barrel seem to be in ok shape.
    i plan to shorten the barrel and have the sights either replaced or a long eye relief scope- scout rifle type fitted.
    Should I rather sell the rifle as is?
    Your advise is appreciated.

User

Default Re: Amberg 8mm Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    I own a 1916 Amberg Gewehr 98.
    The woodwork has been replaced, the bolt handle bent down and a double set trigger was installed. The terrible Lange rearsite is still on the 29inch barrel and a messed up front sight
    The barrel seem to be in ok shape.
    i plan to shorten the barrel and have the sights either replaced or a long eye relief scope- scout rifle type fitted.
    Should I rather sell the rifle as is?
    Your advise is appreciated.
    I personally would leave the barrel as is - that sounds to be almost all that's left of the original rifle. That is, of course, if you want to preserve any historical aspect of the rifle. I think about it as a collector, but your needs/requirements might be different.

Do you intend to eventually sell the rifle? If so, try to determine the collectible value of what is left of it, then you can make an informed decision. If there is still a bit of collectors value in it, you would instantly change that once you shorten the barrel and replace the sight/fit the scope.

Banned

Not sure whether the "Amberg" adds value to the rifle, but it has already lost most of it's collector's value. At least that is what I learnt when I still had my Mauser.

The 29" barrel adds a few feet per second to a bullet. If memory serves correct you should easily be able to get 2600 fps with a 200gr bullet and maybe even closer to 2800 fps. Then you don't need a .300-calibre rifle.

User

If the rifle is a typical German cottage industry rifle, it might even have been a military rifle, converted to sporter configuration. Any new modifications would just make it better. (Well, almost any.)

If, however, it is a collectible, don't do anything to it except clean carefully. You will have to do some digging to find out what it is you have.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    If the rifle is a typical German cottage industry rifle, it might even have been a military rifle, converted to sporter configuration. Any new modifications would just make it better. (Well, almost any.)

If, however, it is a collectible, don't do anything to it except clean carefully. You will have to do some digging to find out what it is you have.
    AR, is was definitly a military rifle converted to sporter. IMHO the collector value has been lost. Think I am going to fit new sights and shorten the barrel.

User

Finkelstein, photos please. If the barrel is good , it will be a good hunting rifle. The 8 mm JS is an excellent bush veld rifle.

User

User

User

User

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast