Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Steak Recipe

User

Default Steak Recipe

Hi all, so whats your secret world famous steak marinade or rub?

Mine is very simple:
    Olive oil, sea salt, black ground pepper - cooked medium

User

Default Re: Steak Recipe

If you buy proper steak, you don't need sauce.
    Mine, if pan seared, olive oil on the braai it goes on naked. Kosher salt and black pepper.

User

And obviously on the braai... I really dislike the taste of pan fried meat...

User

Quote Originally Posted by MK1 View Post
    It depends what you want to do with the steak IMO. Butterflied fillet steaks marinaded in the following mixture: 1 part dry white wine to 3 parts water, steak & chops spice, olive oil, a pinch of portuguese chicken spice, BBQ spice, paprika and a couple bay leaves. Soak them for about 20 min and pan fry to medium then thicken the sauce right at the end in a pan and pour over the steaks. Eat in a roll. I enjoy this every now and again.

On the fire...it's a good 2-3cm thick piece of rump lightly dusted with Steak & Chops, BBQ Spice and Black Pepper...cooked medium rare. Different prep methods for different moods :-)

User

After starting the ultimate steak thread here some time ago, I have tried a bunch of different ways of making it. I am amazed at how much flavour you get just with Salt and black pepper. My favorite is reverse seared porter house with sea salt, black pepper, a pinch of thyme and a blob of butter. Served medium. The last one I still need to try is Steak au Poirve with garlic and Shalots but I want to try it with a decent piece of aged steak. I still haven't found shallots though. But soon.

User

Default Steak Recipe

Depends on the steak.
    Fillet needs flavor added to it. So mix chopped garlic, a pinch of chili, salt, pepper with lard. Rub spiced lard over fillet and braai till outsides are brown. You want the insides rare. Slice in medallions with your sharpest knife. Add a dash of balsamic vinegar when dishing up.

Ribeye: olive oil, salt, pepper. Thats it. (Try a dash of lemon) Serve medium to medium rare.

Rump 1: mixed allgold, peach chutney, Worcestershire sause, salt as a basting. Serve medium to medium rare.

Rump 2: chop 3 very hot chillies. Something like habanero, and mix with 4 table spoons of marmalade(orange). Lightly salt steak as you braai, then add chilli marmilade on the last 2 turns.

User

Trialed and tested Zappa Steak: Prep steak at least 2 hrs before braai. Olive oil , Worchester sauce spice to taste , Marina Braai salt to taste , 1 tablespoon brown sugar, Lemon Pepper to taste. Braai steak on high heat 4 min a side , put in "braai bak" next to braai and let rest for at least 5 min.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    Depends on the steak.
    Fillet needs flavor added to it. So mix chopped garlic, a pinch of chili, salt, pepper with lard. Rub spiced lard over fillet and braai till outsides are brown. You want the insides rare. Slice in medallions with your sharpest knife. Add a dash of balsamic vinegar when dishing up.

Ribeye: olive oil, salt, pepper. Thats it. (Try a dash of lemon) Serve medium to medium rare.

Rump 1: mixed allgold, peach chutney, Worcestershire sause, salt as a basting. Serve medium to medium rare.

Rump 2: chop 3 very hot chillies. Something like habanero, and mix with 4 table spoons of marmalade(orange). Lightly salt steak as you braai, then add chilli marmilade on the last 2 turns.
    I like how you make them different.

My steaks are not really done special because I am always scared of buggering up. My basic idea is to always do them in butter and oil. All the stuff I add is done afterwards.
    I will eat most with a block of cheese and toast but lately I like the idea of grinding garlic over and another lob of butter to melt over.

So my recipe is to salt the steak fairly heavily (i.e. a good grind of coarse sea salt) on both sides with a light sprinkle of crushed garlic powder. Do this about an 45 min to an hour before cooking steak for a 2cm thick steak, thicker steak needs more time etc. and then braai.

Unbelievable flavour! Concept is that the salt draws moisture out which then returns into the meat.

Then post braaing we sometimes then baste the steak in oil oil or butter & fresh herbs + black pepper.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MK1 View Post
    Please tell me more.
    The closest I get to a steak on a braai is an old Buffel lid that I make very hot and let flames lick around. I have dead steaks from an open fire.Do you use very high temps?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast