Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Working Dog - Dog Food

Sorry guys can't help with ideas but am curious, it's been +-5 years since I owned an animal. Back then I was using Hills I think its called, it was what the vets swore by. Have they fallen off the map now?

Stay Bladed.

User

My GSP and Vizsla get Eukanuba adult medium breed and senior large breed. It is ridiculously expensive and am also considering a change. Good food and they in great condition it's just killing my budget!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Eukanuba working and endurance with a supplement of egg,fish and offal raw at random intervals. 55kg of working rottweiler.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Medic View Post
    Sorry guys can't help with ideas but am curious, it's been +-5 years since I owned an animal. Back then I was using Hills I think its called, it was what the vets swore by. Have they fallen off the map now?

Stay Bladed.
    my buddy uses hills on his 65kg rottie, dog is in top condition.
    my abpt is on montego, if anything i need something that gives less energy (just joking) he gets regular beeno biscuit snacks. raw hide chews, as well

User

Thanks guys for all your input... you'll see i asked the same question on GSP South Africa on facebook....
    A lot of people are feeding Eukanuba Large breed (same feedback I got from the training kennel at Boavida) still its about 600-800 for a 14-15kg bag and the working and endurance can go up to R850 a bag.
    I also saw that quite a few people have started using ultra dog too which is not badly priced at around R650 but for 20kg which may be a better option as you getting an extra 5kg for the same price as Eukanuba, then I may only be buying a 2nd bag every alternate month.
    I did try Hills but they didn't like it and Vets Choice deteriorated their coat and condition although they scoffed it down, Montego Karoo which they chowed but didn't give them enough to maintain weight. They love Acana but ya I'm done paying 1k a bag for 12KG..
    Other brand i'm considering is Meradog, so Im going to have to go get a few small packs of Meradog, Ultradog and probably Montego Karoo (for the off season) and see what works best out of the lot.

User

I feed my lab and Springer spaniel on working and endurance. Check the quantity you should feed according to the bag and share that across two meals. Before moving check the recommended quantity you are supposed to feed you may find you are getting 5kg more for the same money and using it faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User

I think its time that people realise that for man and dog to have co-evolved, they probably had to have similar dietary requirements (they are both omnivores). Since modern man has rediscovered the paleo diet and its dairy laden friend, the Banting diet. He has managed to reverse a lot of lifestyle diseases (type 2 diabetes, cardiac disease, IBS, obesity and autoimmune conditions) by cutting out things like wheat, maize and soya. These three modern staple foods are also the main triggers for common dog aliments such as eczema, hip displasia and a host of other canine gastro intestinal issues. The fact that all the brands of dog food are bulked out with this stuff suggest that they are all likely to trigger problems in susceptible dogs. Granted, some of the better brands "treat" the ingredients to be less reactive, they are still full of these things. If your dog is struggling a bit, feed it on a paleo type diet of animal products mixed with veg. Any meat will do, offal, pets mice etc. If you have to bulk it out a bit, you can add a bit of rice as this is less immuno reactive than wheat, maize or soya.

Good luck, you will be amazed at the difference in dogs that are "struggling".

User

I have no experience regarding working dogs, but having just read reviews on Supervet, this looks like very good value for money. You will have enough change to supplement with raw meat as well and be under budget I think. Only problem I could see is availability of Supervet (only major cities, no stockist in NW for me). Check out that wikipooch page posted by Moomin post #7.

http://www.wikipooch.co.za/dog-food-...upervet-adult/

I have a Ridgeback bitch and a male boxer (both turning 4 years end of Oct), moved over from Montego to Ultradog Optiwoof quite a while ago. They love it and are in good condition. However now considering moving to Supervet.

@HJordaan (post #14) when changing a dogs food a rough guideline from what I've read is adding 10% of the new food per day (while decreasing old food) until they are completely over.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3