Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Working Dog - Dog Food

Morning Guys & Girls,

I know this has been discussed at length but due to new options coming to the market, I would see what other options I have.

I have two GSP's and feed them twice a day with a mix of 2 x Eukanuba to 1 x Acana sport and agility.
    As you can imagine that's pretty hefty monthly bill for 3 bags of dog food. They are 2.5 years old now so am also wanting to find out if I need to move them to being fed once a day. I do notice immediately when they get Acana that their coat improves drastically over just Eukanuba.
    I would like to bring down my monthly costs if possible if there is any alternative decent quality food which costs less.

So I would like to find out what you guys feed and how often please? Has anyone tried the locally made Ultradog?

Thanks all!

User

Default Re: Working Dog - Dog Food

I feed my 2 GSP's twice a day. During the winter/hunting season with Ultradog Active (they also get quite a lot of venison during this time) and during the off season, usually Montego.

User

Hi... you can try vets choice as well as montego . Montego is a balanced dog food and quite reasonable as well. As far as feeding goes you have to take in to account the weight of a dog. Usually it is sufficient to feed once a day. Be awair of over feeding. A fat dog does not always turn out to be a healthy dog. It also helps to feed a dog a raw diet now an again.

User

Thanks for the quick replies, I do also feed them quite a bit of venison during winter but haven't considered the seasonal approach.
    I did try Montego previously but during the hunting months they slimmed down too much so had to put them on something more substantial to maintain weight while highly active.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

My GSP was on Montego but I moved him to Vets Choice Superior as he suddenly became very thin. He has picked up condition and is still very full of energy. The Lab and Shar Pei are still on Montego and doing well.

I feed him twice a day.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Usually I'm winter you have to feed a bit extra .

User

Quote Originally Posted by razack View Post
    Hi... you can try vets choice
    The people over at wikipooch kinda think Vets choice is overpriced rubbish. Just FYI
    The have breakdowns on most of the brands and contents.

http://www.wikipooch.co.za

Banned

Get an abbatoir or a butchery to sell you red offal. Bake it lightly in the oven and you are good to go.

The reason for this is quite simple: the digestive system of a dog does not really differ from that of the other canine carnivores, which simply thrive off raw meat. I had three bouviers and we noticed big improvements in their temperaments, liveliness and playfulness once we started feeding them red offal. Many years ago there was a guy here in Potch who bred hounds. He butchered donkeys and fed the donkey meat to the dogs.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Moomin View Post
    The people over at wikipooch kinda think Vets choice is overpriced rubbish. Just FYI
    The have breakdowns on most of the brands and contents.

http://www.wikipooch.co.za

I own an English Bulldog, and now a small Frenchie as well, so not quite a working dog. But I found that since I swapped over to Vets Choice, Golden years (she just turned 11 now) that her condition, coat and playfulness increased quite a bit. I'll do some reading on Wikipooch as to how their rating works. But personally I can only say good things about Vetschoice, but at just under R700.00 for a 20kg bag it does get a little pricey.

*It would be interesting to see what experience the other's had on Vets Choice.

User

I moved away from vetschoice - many cheaper (R500 - R600 per 20KG) and better brands out there.
    My dogs have more energy, less issues and require less food (actual volume)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast