Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Working Dog - Dog Food

feed my dog raw a 4 year old fixed pit. it is a mission and it is expensive but man do i get results. Dog energy level are crazy, can work all day every muscle tone great, teeth perfect, no skin issues (major reason for switching to raw), small non smelly craps and he loves it. Dog is a fully trained protection dog and get between 1 and 2 hours solid work a day.
    Will switch my boerboel puppy over from royal caine soon as i have just found raw that much more superior
    food like acana and science diet grain free are basically trying to replicate raw food.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Moomin View Post
    I moved away from vetschoice - many cheaper (R500 - R600 per 20KG) and better brands out there.
    My dogs have more energy, less issues and require less food (actual volume)
    Moomin,

Could you perhaps give us the alternate brands please ?

I have 2 odd dogs . They are brothers but one is almost typical Mexican Hairless and his brother looks like a long haired rottie x lab x ??? The tokolosh has very sensitive skin and is allergic to loads of foods so we have been feeding Vet's Choice Sensitive and other low allergen brands - plenty $$$.

Have recently moved them over to Nutribyte: http://nutribyte.co.za

It is R600 for 40kg, my dogs are in great condition and no skin problems for the warthog .
    They also deliver for free in Gauteng. I ordered day before yesterday and they are delivering today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Moomin could you please elaborate on the brands you changed to? I'm always keen to compare and if there's better options I would love to swot over (keeping budget in mind of course).

The price and sales pitch and Nutribyte's website is quite alluring. Does anyone else have some experience with Nutribyte?

Also how would one go about changing the food? Is it an immediate change or do you start off by mixing and then gradually change over?

Nutribyte looks good anyone else using it

User

Quote Originally Posted by HJordaan View Post
    Moomin could you please elaborate on the brands you changed to? I'm always keen to compare and if there's better options I would love to swot over (keeping budget in mind of course).

The price and sales pitch and Nutribyte's website is quite alluring. Does anyone else have some experience with Nutribyte?

Also how would one go about changing the food? Is it an immediate change or do you start off by mixing and then gradually change over?
    I moved to Wuma plus something (3.1 on the rating and locally made). To be honest, I'm contemplating a move again. The dogs are fine but I noticed a density change in the dry food. Second time in a year. I measure their food each time and I noticed that the food weighs less now than before. 1 cup = x amount of grams in this example. Either they changed the formula or they are experiencing QC issues.

If I could afford it, which I can't, I'd give my dogs this: Orijen Adult Six Fish
    But I'm way to poor for this shit. ±R100/kg

User

Quote Originally Posted by Moomin View Post
    I moved to Wuma plus something (3.1 on the rating and locally made). To be honest, I'm contemplating a move again. The dogs are fine but I noticed a density change in the dry food. Second time in a year. I measure their food each time and I noticed that the food weighs less now than before. 1 cup = x amount of grams in this example. Either they changed the formula or they are experiencing QC issues.

If I could afford it, which I can't, I'd give my dogs this: Orijen Adult Six Fish
    But I'm way to poor for this shit. ±R100/kg
    Wow that's insane!!! I am happy (sorta) with the +- R700.00 per 20kg/s. This fits well into my budget and still allows for some snacks. Both my dogs love their biscuits. There's a biscuit that looks like Zoo cookies but for dogs which my English goes nuts for!!

What move are you contemplating? Until today, and it's actually your fault :D, I was happy with my girl being on Vets choice, but after reading somewhat I came to the conclusion that it might not be the best option. Unfortunately there's not many reviews online regarding the local foods (like the Nutribyte mentioned).

User

No clue as yet. Sorry

User

At the price of Orijen you can employ a private chef to cook for your dogs.

I've had good results with Pro Pac, Earthborn and Meradog. For general maintenance I feed Jock and supplement it with organ meat and chicken necks.

My dogs don't work so this is not relevant to your situation. Springer had some very insightful posts a couple of years back on a similar thread if you can track it down.

Don't know about working dogs but my 18 week old German Shepherd is doing excellent with Jock Junior. He is fit and weighs 18kg's.
    www.480bc.co.za
    EDC, Sport Shooting, Reloading

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast