Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: .357 warthog / much a shooting little a result.

Pre - you know my thing was to fetch a hog out hole, gonna do it with shotgun now me thinks.

User

Treeman
    I believe you have build a .458 Win Mag 2"...how often are you using it to hunt with? Please provide me with the link to the building process of the .458 WM 2"?

User

Gert...we both built one,same time on 2 actions i sourced. Treeman wrote about his on the forum and i had an article named{by Gregor Woods] as .458 istencape,by myself printed in Magnum magazine about 2 years ago.

Details of the building and load development as well as reasoning behind it are listed.I will scratch through my books and see if i can find the copy"s date issue if you interested.

User

Oh, the proper designation in "cartriges of the world" is the .458 2 inch american.

Banned

and its my most used rifle - really a pleasure weapon in every way but distance, 220 m max, 230 m
    and the exit entrance wound are on different levels.
    As a bush velt weapon I can not imagine a better, Truly a under used/ sung/ utilized/ reconized weapon

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Oh, the proper designation in "cartriges of the world" is the .458 2 inch american.
    I really enjoyed that post. Never heard of a .458 2 inch american. Is it not almost identical to a 45-70?

Banned

yea - with magnum belt added.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    yea - with magnum belt added.
    Very similar to the 450 Marlin, but with a different belt whith.

User

All it is,is a standard .458 win mag case shortened from the standard 2.5 inches to 2 inches.No other changes.

Ballistics are the same as a 45-70 [fired out of a modern rifle such as the ruger no.1] In other words it runs at pressures and velocities higher than what can be generated safely in an old Martini Henry.

The advantage is that it feeds easily from a magazine and is accomadated in a standard lengh action bolt action rifle.Running 300gr 458 bulklets at 2350fps and 260gr bullets at just under 2500fps.Superbly accurate,gentle recoil and hard hitting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    All it is,is a standard .458 win mag case shortened from the standard 2.5 inches to 2 inches.No other changes.

Ballistics are the same as a 45-70 [fired out of a modern rifle such as the ruger no.1] In other words it runs at pressures and velocities higher than what can be generated safely in an old Martini Henry.

The advantage is that it feeds easily from a magazine and is accomadated in a standard lengh action bolt action rifle.Running 300gr 458 bulklets at 2350fps and 260gr bullets at just under 2500fps.Superbly accurate,gentle recoil and hard hitting.
    How will it fare as a double rifle build? Would you recommend it to be use in a double rifle configuration? It really seems to be an excellent caliber ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast