Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default .357 warthog / much a shooting little a result.

As you will notice my cloths took some pounding, but I got my pig. 6 bullets later. Was carting .357 and not intending to hunt with it, was between moving vehicles and so forth area disturbed - left rifle in van and walked to collect shot game. Hell there lies a sleeping pig, huh ? eyes open - it seemed to move - 357 barks and pig jerks dead, 15 m.
    Mmmha, easy this handgun hunting. Bakkie pulls up and we load pig, no we don't,no pig! gone. call dog and in I go, thick stuff. Get pig 20 ft deeper it jumps and departs 357 barks, and pig goes down. Hit it some where ?. hammer back and WTF pigs up turns to face me and I between eyes low it(look in picture). Drops like a brick. its doing the normal pig kicking story, shout call direct partner to spot - pigs gone . track search see dog hold up ahead, hear pig threatening 6/7 ft away but cant see it. Finally I make out form and shoot a quick shot some where. Pig ups and goes again, has a tumble and I shoot it behind head. It lays there kicking - I shoot it again, head !.
    Was like a half km of carrying - was not fun.

Turns out the pig had its front left leg shot off quiet high up, one of the shots in day must have hit this pig in back ground unknowingly, and just as by luck I stumbled on it.
    Now I am not so sure about this hand gun story, hell i am not doing that in a hurry again.

Banned

Default Re: .357 warthog / much a shooting little a result.

Reminds me of my father and I in Namibia years ago. I spotted a porcupine that I wanted to mount (Why? Who knows?). My dad and I try to shoot it with .44 handguns. Miss, miss, missed again. The Bushman tracker asked if we were trying to shoot it or scare it. I replied that I wanted to shoot it. He picked up a rock, threw it and hit the porky in the head.

Score: Bushman-1
    Great white hunters-0

What ammo were you using in your .357?

User

Always enjoy your posts treeman!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Banned

I had PMP factory loaded half jacket soft point. As I sais was carrying more just to have with me - perhaps finish a something off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve072 View Post
    What ammo were you using in your .357?

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I had PMP factory loaded half jacket soft point. As I sais was carrying more just to have with me - perhaps finish a something off.
    It would be interesting if you could get more information when pig was slaughtered. Impact points, any pullets recovered, penetration etc.

User

Good post Treeman, it would be very interesting to get more technical info on how your ammo performed. They say that Warthogs are born wounded, you shoot them right!

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    IMHO wrong choice. Should be looking at 158 or 180gr Hornady XTP loaded hot.

XTPs are not the answer for a 357Mag, IMO. I would far rather use a Keith type SWC cast, than ANY expanding HP bullet for handgun hunting with a 357Mag.

41Mag and up, are a different story, and the right HP (here the XTP 240grn for 44Mag seems to have a following for white tails on the US handgun hunting fora) seems to work well.

@Treeman - thanks for posting pic and story!
    Last edited by Sweet; 19-09-2016 at 11:49. Reason: spelung

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    XTPs are not the answer for a 357Mag, IMO. I would far rather use a Keith type SWC cast, than ANY expanding HP bullet for handgun hunting with a 357Mag.

41Mag and up, are a different story, and the right HP (here the XTP 240grn for 44Mag seems to have a following for white tails on the US handgun hunting fora) seems to work well.

@Treeman - thanks for posting pic and story!
    Surely still a better choice than a JSP?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast