Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: .357 warthog / much a shooting little a result.

we trying to recover bullets now, but they always seem to vanish, That shot between eyes went in under brain and through to shoulder area. Still looking for it, there must be one bullet from 3 in head, one was in and out - two to go. Worth noting that penetration was not the issue, in skull through skull and out skull into neck area. Bullet paths tested by rod insertion.

User

Treeman I hope you not paying per kg on that pig, with all those bullets it must almost be double it's weight!!!!

Banned

What worries me is that if that was a charging B/Pig, it would have got me for sure
    Quote Originally Posted by BB32 View Post
    Treeman I hope you not paying per kg on that pig, with all those bullets it must almost be double it's weight!!!!

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

I shot a warthog with a silenced 300 Black last week Tuesday. Shoulder shot at 80m (wasn't certain enough of point of impact at 80m to go for the teensy-weensy brain) with a 208gn A-max. Bullet tumbled as it entered, mushed lungs and departed with a nasty hole through other side of pig ('twas OK, was culling) spraying blood everywhere. Pig ran must be 50 to 100m and collapsed DRT.

Shallow pig are DAMNED tough. I've never shot one that didn't twitch and run like crazy, even after a devastating brain shot. This one just plumb ran out of blood pressure.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Banned

"Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian
    Likely the best "thingee" at bottom of page on Gun Site
    Still likely the best advice ever.

User

I have shot my fair number of shallow pigs with hand cannons. Mainly a 40 S&W but a handful with a 357 sixgun as well. Handguns are not rifles. We expect the result to be the same and its not. Imagine your handgun as a muzzle loader of back in the day. With out a CNS one has to be patient and let the animal expire due to blood loss etc.

Banned

Would you please PM me a contact # I wish to ask a few questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    I have shot my fair number of shallow pigs with hand cannons. Mainly a 40 S&W but a handful with a 357 sixgun as well. Handguns are not rifles. We expect the result to be the same and its not. Imagine your handgun as a muzzle loader of back in the day. With out a CNS one has to be patient and let the animal expire due to blood loss etc.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    XTPs are not the answer for a 357Mag, IMO. I would far rather use a Keith type SWC cast, than ANY expanding HP bullet for handgun hunting with a 357Mag.
    Agreed, applicable to all revolvers IMHO.
    Treeman, if you really want that .357 Maggie to shine, load some cast RCBS 35-200gr FNGC bullets and see how it penetrates and stops pigs!

User

In some revolvers with "short" cylinders, you may have to use .38 Special cases to prevent the overall length from exceeding the cylinder length, with the RCBS 35-200-FNGC bullet.

Banned

had no penetration problem, just result problem. I will how ever be looking into these super heavies, just so I can shoot between eyes and through brain lungs heart liver and out butt hole - surely it will fall over then

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast