Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Don't ignore ITAR, EAR and BIS.

Quote Originally Posted by HvR View Post
    They do fly over once or twice a year and do site visits to check up on people who got ITAR exemptions so pretty sure they will for infractions as well, maybe accompanied with SAPS.
    And what South African law are you breaking?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    And what South African law are you breaking?
    Do not have the legal knowledge to know if/how you can be prosecuted (there are extradition treaties etc in place), know of South Africans who in the past were detained in the UK for trying to circumvent ITAR regulations.

I would want to stay of their person non grata list in any case.

The manufacturer or dealer in the US will be in serious legal trouble if found to be even slightly complicate if the items do not end where they should have been, companies have been fined for hundred of million of dollars.

User

If you want to buy optics you should look to getting them from Europe it's much easier.

Try optics-trade.eu there you can buy scopes that are restricted from export in the USA.

There is a premium paid on these scopes but from what I have seen the shipping is a fixed 70 Euro so that's a bit of a win as shipping from the USA is vvvv expensive.

Be careful to do a compare on the price with the USA some are just a little more others nearly double. The prices also change all the time thanks to the rate of exchange.

If your order value exceeds R50,000 SARS require an importers code and the invoice must be made out to the importer. I'm not sure how you deal with this I haven't spent that much on a scope yet (hope I never have to)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User

I nearly asked a mate to bring me a scope from the USA. Another friend advised me against this as he had heard a story of someone being stopped on the way out of the USA the scope taken away and the poor guys passport stamped "Not allowed to return to the USA for 10 years."

Like I said it's hear say but I'm not taking a chance.

BTW if you order from optics-trade.eu as in my previous post make sure to select your region as WORLD this makes it tax free. You then have to pay VAT when it lands here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User

I average between 60-70 flights a year, last thing I need is SSS stamped on my boarding pass. When flying internationally, I wouldn't risk even putting a paper target in my bag. When the authorities find something irregular they are like a dog with a bone. Don't be that person.

User

Default Don't ignore ITAR, EAR and BIS.

Reading this thread in the context of literally billions of dollars worth of military grade equipment abandoned by the United States and other world “leaders” to Al-Qaida in Afghanistan should illuminate the gross hypocrisy of ITAR and provide more than ample reason to consider the true illegitimacy of these governmental agencies.
    Yet, people around the globe cling to their cognitive dissonance like the fervently faithful to an archaic religion.
    Wake up, or be damned to serfdom forever!
    R\Griff

User

Quote Originally Posted by dammitgriff View Post
    Reading this thread in the context of literally billions of dollars worth of military grade equipment abandoned by the United States and other world “leaders” to Al-Qaida in Afghanistan should illuminate the gross hypocrisy of ITAR and provide more than ample reason to consider the true illegitimacy of these governmental agencies.
    Yet, people around the globe cling to their cognitive dissonance like the fervently faithful to an archaic religion.
    R\Griff
    Preach brother!

User

Quote Originally Posted by dammitgriff View Post
    R\Griff
    Exactly. Well said.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2