Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19
    User

Default Re: Those were the days, we were soldiers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Yes, there were some unique moments..like driving through the camp boom gate with a SAMIL 20 without breaks at Chetto base..the guard was nowhere to see when I returned from Omega base ...Never thought boom gate can get air born so fast..
    Wat het jy by Chetto gedoen en wanneer Gert?

Chetto was ons logistieke basis.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Then you should watch the "STIL DRIL"

I was fortunate enough to be part of the SANDF National exhibition and Presidential Drill Squad.
    send links!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    Wat het jy by Chetto gedoen en wanneer Gert?

Chetto was ons logistieke basis.
    Worked for Military Intelligence , was our base until we moved over to St. Michelle main base camp along the Cuando river , then to Cassinga where we worked until we move back to SA...It really is a beautiful region...wish I could have stay there for a few more years....1989-1991

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Worked for Military Intelligence , was our base until we moved over to St. Michelle main base camp along the Cuando river , then to Cassinga where we worked until we move back to SA...It really is a beautiful region...wish I could have stay there for a few more years....1989-1991
    Wow OK.

Was Artillery seconded to CSI ST Dec 85 - Dec 86, first two weeks at Ribeira the rest of the time at Tigre.

It certainly is a very special area and probably the best time anyone could wish for in the army of those days.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    Wow OK.

Was Artillery seconded to CSI ST Dec 85 - Dec 86, first two weeks at Ribeira the rest of the time at Tigre.

It certainly is a very special area and probably the best time anyone could wish for in the army of those days.
    The greatest memories I have was when we were driving with the unimogs , the unimogs was the vehicles we used , and being surrounded by at least three hundred buffalo...elephants were abundant , game of every kind was seen the whole day while working in the area... the Bakkes guy that was a ranger in the Kruger National park who lost his arm due to a crocodile attack was the ranger in that region..he did research on the rhinos when we were there..was a nice person..
    We had great commanding officers as well, Col Bert Sachse, was a great person who run all operations smoothly. We as young men really had a great time in the bush...still thinking back sometimes about those days..Another great person was Brigadier Cor van Niekerk, he was as tough as nails..something like the legend of "Jungle Man" Major PJ Pretoruis ...he really looked like Jungle Man...

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19