Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: My first gun

User

Talking My first gun

Hi
    Good day to everyone i am planing on buying my first firearm. my competency will be done on the 27th of October 2016 and im planing on getting a firearm for SD and for sport shooting. but seeing I'm a student i wont be able to afford an brand new multi purpose firearm or to get two different firearms currently i have a budget of R6000 but if i wait till the new year my budget will be around R9000. Im a big guy so i wont find it hard to conceal an full size firearm. Honestly im looking for a full size firearm as my first but the thing is i want help on which firearm to get at my budget of R6000-R9000. Im not looking for an brand new firearm because i know my budget is too low for a cz spo1 or a smith and wesson m&p or a glock 17 brand new but ive seen a few go second hand for a reasonable price but if anyone knows any other options that are suitable for EDC and comp shooting please let me know thanx.
    Regards
    Kinan

User

Default Re: My first gun

Btw im staying in p.e

User

Hi

When you say competency will be done on the 27th I assume you mean proficiency training. You will then apply at dfo for competency certificate. Given current turn around times this will only happen by the new year, thus I would recommend waiting and saving little.
    With a budget of R9000 you would be close to a glock/ vs or many a decent firearm.

My advise would be to save and buy what you want the first time round.... even if if it takes you a couple of months longer.

There's a saying around here:
    *Buy once - cry once*

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Banned

Kinan,there are quite a few threads answering your questions. There are also a few used pistols for sale. You can look at a Browning Hi-Power, a CZ-75, HS/Springfield, Girsan or Stoeger. Or if you wait a bit you should be able to get a used CZ-07 or Glock at a good price.

You have 4 options:
    1. Glock 19 or 17
    2. CZ P07 or P09

If you could conceal the size of the P-09, then that is the best all round pistol if you can comfortably carry it. This is a large pistol but you could shoot a sport like IPSC. Then as a SD gun it has an insane 19+1 capacity. Please buy 9mm, it's proven, it's available.

They are all around R9000 - and I am sure you could drop your R6000 down with the shop and then pay off the balance while you wait for your cert.

User

"Im a big guy so i wont find it hard to conceal an full size firearm"

Have you tried? For how long and doing what activities?

I'm cautious to recommend a full size firearm for SD as many people who say they EDC one, don't.
    Many people buy them because they are awesome to shoot on the range and comfortable "in their hand", but if you carry it, it will be on your body many times more often than in your hand.

User

Hi
    Firsty thanx everyone for replying. I have shot the p09 very nice handgun would love to own it but the cheapest ive seen them is around R13000 im considering waiting it out till I afford one but then again what if the need for a firearm arises during the period in which I save for one and iv been in this country since I was 4 years old im 19 now im here on a refuge permit so if I apply for a firearm license my application does not go to pretoria the decision is made at the police station that I apply at "thats what ive been told at the gun shops" so my waiting period isn't as long as an citizien because the license is temporary it will last as along as i am legally in the country my permit gets renewed every 6 months thus meaning i will have to renew my license every 6 months. What do you guys think? Should I wait it out and hope nothing happens that will need me to use an firearm or should I get one as soon as possible because I work night shifts near the rail way down the road by lock stock and barrel and recently an man was killed at the gate .... I work in the comsec premisis if you know that place you will understand how dangers it will be.... Please let me know on your thoughts

Banned

Make sure that a refugee permit allows you to own a firearm. As far as I know only foreigners with permanent residence may apply.

User

My friend is a dedicated Hunter and on holidays I go to his farm and help around he usualy lets me carry the M92 thats about the bigest gun I had on my person for a long period of time and it was very comfortable and didn't bother me even during labour work the p09 is similar in size im assuming and maybe the po9 grip might be longer than the m92 doubt it's a major difference

User

Quote Originally Posted by kinan View Post
    Hi
    Firsty thanx everyone for replying. I have shot the p09 very nice handgun would love to own it but the cheapest ive seen them is around R13000 im considering waiting it out till I afford one but then again what if the need for a firearm arises during the period in which I save for one and iv been in this country since I was 4 years old im 19 now im here on a refuge permit so if I apply for a firearm license my application does not go to pretoria the decision is made at the police station that I apply at "thats what ive been told at the gun shops" so my waiting period isn't as long as an citizien because the license is temporary it will last as along as i am legally in the country my permit gets renewed every 6 months thus meaning i will have to renew my license every 6 months. What do you guys think? Should I wait it out and hope nothing happens that will need me to use an firearm or should I get one as soon as possible because I work night shifts near the rail way down the road by lock stock and barrel and recently an man was killed at the gate .... I work in the comsec premisis if you know that place you will understand how dangers it will be.... Please let me know on your thoughts
    Refuge permit? Do you have PR? If not, good luck getting anything other than a section 21.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast