Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Farmer of Komatipoort shot

Just herad on the news. Another farmer of Komatipoort was shot in the chest last night. Poilice recovered 8 spent cartridges on scene. Farmer in ICU Nelspruit. I didn`t hear that anything taken. They waited for him when he returned home that evening.

Does anybody have more information?
    Last edited by Wismit; 22-04-2010 at 12:11.

User

It's time to harden the F**K up.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Murphy View Post
    It's time to harden the F**K up.

Sean.
    Ditto brother Ditto!
    MOLON LABE

User

You know what, I'm a farmboy, I grew up on a farm, my dad and mom is still living on a farm, it is my people... but I am sick and tired feeling sorry for these people... they just don't give a sh!t, why should we? I am trying to be as prepared as possible, and I agree that that may not be enough, but at least I know that I have done my best. These farmers are just not vigilant. When I stop at my parents place my gun is in my hand. It is habit. We don't go out when we hear strange noises or dogs barking, we switch on the security lights outside and monitor from the darkness of the inside of the house.

Every time something happens, it is in the line of: farmer went out to investigate noise. farmer shot when arriving home. farmer shot through open window. farmer shot when bg's gained access through unlocked door. None of these had a firearm on them, always afterwards the bg's force one of the victims to open the safe to get to the firearms... Jeez guys, I mean.. come on!!! today again in the news the following: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...armer-20100422
    The farmer left her handbag WITH a gun in the bakkie and went to fetch something in the house. The farmworker took the gun and luckily for her, he wasn't trained in firearms and the gun failed to go off.... I have no more sympathy... we KNOW in what country we are living and what is happening. If you don't care, don't make it my problem.

User

Wow - thats a bit harsh.

We don`t always know what happened. I am not a farmer myself but I don`t think they deserve this.

User

I really feel for the farmers. And no one should live under the threats they do. But the guys have a point many farmers really do need to start taking their security more seriously.

In a perfect world they wouldn't need to. But we don't so get the gun out the safe and do some training. Unfortunately experience has shown the only people who can keep these farmers safe are themselves.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Wismit View Post
    Wow - thats a bit harsh.

We don`t always know what happened. I am not a farmer myself but I don`t think they deserve this.
    yes I must agree, a bit harsh indeed. For sure, I'm all for safety and security, being prepared and common sense and all, but these are our people being slaughtered. We should never turn our back on people being abused like this. Why SHOULD I lock my doors, why should I carry my gun with me all the time, because I enjoy it, hell no, because I have too. We shouldn't have to live in such a society but are, have a little compasion for the ones taking the brunt of it.

User

Don't get me wrong... nobody deserves this... everybody has the right to life.
    but we are all aware of what's happening in our country...The rules are simple, or should I say: 8 Simple rules to survive in South Africa:
    1. If you don't have a gun, get a gun
    2. If you have a gun, don't hand it in or get rid of it
    3. If you have a gun that you didn't hand in, don't leave it in the safe
    4. If you have a gun that you didn't leave in the safe, wear it and keep it within reach 24/7
    5. If you hear strange noises at night outside, don't go investigate
    6. If you ignore 5. above and you do go investigate, make sure you take your gun and plenty of ammo with.
    7. If you arive at home, be prepared for anything. The most hijackings or attacks occur when you stop in your driveway, including farmers getting back on the farm.
    8. Most important rule, have gun, will do training. Make sure you know your firearm. It doesn't help you have 15 bullets and you don't hit your target once. Get training and make every shot count.

The farmer who left her gun in her handbag in the bakkie while fetching something in the house: rule no.4
    The farmer who went out investigating a noise and was shot and stabbed in the legs: rule 5 and 6
    The lady that was shot in the head after two men attacked her mother in law: rule 8
    The farmer who was shot at his entrance to his yard: rule 7, probably rule 4 or 3 as well.
    The man that was tied to a chair and beaten to death and family brutalised, probably all of the above.
    People need to wake up. This is Africa, if you are careless you die. And I blame GFSA because they encourage people to disarm, to remove their defences, to open themselves up for attacks and I blame the government for also encouraging law abiding citizens to disarm while not taking a firmer stance against crime, and actually not putting stiffer sentences in place. Hard labour for example. It does not infringe your right to life. Let the bast@rds sweat in the sun. Make them remember their deeds with blood and sweat with every blow they strike on rocks and boulders while repairing our roads....
    It pisses me off everytime someone is killed. And yeah, I say it's their own fault because they are not prepared, but why the hell should you be? That is why our people emmigrate to Australia and Nieu Zeeland and Canada and USA. Because it is civilised countries, like SA used to be. You didn't have these sort of things in the 80's. We chose to stay behind in this hellhole to face these barbaric monsters that slaugthers a human being just as easily as a goat. My point is, everybody knows that we are not in the 80's anymore. If you stayed behind, then you need to face reality and prepare yourself.
    If you married you made a promise to God to protect and care for your family. It is blatantly negligent to live unarmed in this country not being prepared to defend yourself and your family and risk your wife being gang raped and your children slaugtered/burned.
    The people who didn't want to live like this, in 24/7 readiness with a gun closer to you in bed than your wife, left. The ones who couldn't and the ones who wouldn't leave are left. For us there are only one option. Be ready or be dead. You may not agree with this, but that is my opinion...I may be wrong.

Wow...that's all I can say...wow.

What quality of life is it to live by the so called rules above, I've said it before And I'll say it again, I am all for safety, security and being prepared. Sadly we are only human, one moment of fatigue and lack of concentration can land you in deep trouble, that being said, being the best prepared you can be, being in "condition red" all the time and running around like Rambo being armed to the teeth is also no guarantee that you won't or can't fall victim to something. Boys, we need to start being more positive, negative, doomsday talk like this (even though some statements made are valid) does nothing but pull us all down. Swanewa2, without stepping on toes, but when I get as totally dispondant as I believe you are coming across, pack my bags and send me somewhere else, there is no reason to have such a bleak outlook on life. This IS Africa, only thing you can do is adapt and make it work for you...If you're this unhappy perhaps it's time for a change of scenery. No harm or disrespect I tended, just take it in jest.

User

swanewa, I don't really have an answer, only some observations.

1. It takes a lot of effort to carry all the time and that might put a lot of people off. For me at this stage it takes a lot of effort NOT to carry!

2. Another thing putting people off is the (re)licensing disaster.

3. The other thing might be that it's not quite PC to carry a deadly weapon. Only some people know I carry, but if others knew they would probably have a heart attack. The perception that it's weird to carry is not helping either. Stupid ass questions or statements like "WHY do you have a gun?", "It will be used against you!" etc, gives you an idea of what going on out there.

But farmers, I don't know. I don't think a farmer would seem like an odd ball at all carrying a gun, but a lot don't.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast