Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default That 'almost R8000' mistake!

I think there's insurance you can take out for these "hunting mistakes"...might be a good idea to explore it further.

Maybe someone knows about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: That 'almost R8000' mistake!

Shooting pressure on most people are huge.

You hunt once a year, or your first hunt, and trusting those who makes the calls is the human thing to do.
    I won't hunt when guided by a PH, nor a tracker, but I understand that most have to.

Making sure of a shot is one hell of a concept to explain to others.

@pblaauw, do you have confidence in your bullet choice?

User

The term PH seems in general to be used very generously in South Africa. There are PH's , PH's and PH's.

At the end of the day its your money. Never forget this. Rush nothing. If you want to admire the animal for 30mins first its your call and never be bullied otherwise.

Im sure you've learnt a valuable lesson with this hunt.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Shooting pressure on most people are huge.

You hunt once a year, or your first hunt, and trusting those who makes the calls is the human thing to do.
    I won't hunt when guided by a PH, nor a tracker, but I understand that most have to.

Making sure of a shot is one hell of a concept to explain to others.

@pblaauw, do you have confidence in your bullet choice?
    Bullet choices were fine, it was the idiot behind the trigger.

I was actually impressed by the Impala 130gn heads...see the nice entry wound on this Blesbuck...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    They always want you to hurry the shot.
    No, a guide/ph worth his salt will never hurry you into a shot. I know that if a client wounds an animal, I am very likely the one that will be climbing mountains and bashing bush to get it (we don't shoot from vehicles). Not all farmers/guides/ph's are the same, just as all hunters are not the same.

@ pblauuw, thanks for sharing, glad you got it.

Default That 'almost R8000' mistake!

This year I had my first experience hunting with a proper group of PH's. They took their time to identify and triple check that we are talking about the same animal. Then it will be : shoot when ready, and no further words until the shot or a change in the situation. I was extremely impressed and this made for an awesome hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

I have also had the misfortune of the tracker/guide urging me to shoot. I have come to a point where if they do it, I lower my rifle and ask them politely to shut the F*$k up.

The two times I hunted with a proper PH, they were very cautious in directing my shot, making sure of the target before talking to me, and then making sure I clearly understood what I needed to shoot.

Congrats on the hunt and the outcome.

A friend who I grew up with, has a depth of hunting knowledge and have guided a number of people. He guided my younger brother last year who went on his second hunt ever. And just because my friend was patient, instilled confidence in my brother who took two impalas and a nice kudu cow.

Was on a hunt last year where ph said I could should the impala on the right which ended up being one of the biggest on the farm and land owner was not happy. I still paid normal price and ph had explaining to do.

User

I shot a very nice Kudu bull in June. The Guide told me it was big money, I gave the thumbs up accepting it.
    Ended up as a Trophy bull, I paid the listed price. Farmer was still upset as they had some Americans lined up later for Trophies now there was one less. I politely told him to F**K off and stop complaining as he did not tell anyone (including the guides) that any animals were off limit.

Next time I went out I was clearly told by the guide not to shoot a particular alpha bull that we saw.

User

Quote Originally Posted by singh17 View Post
    I shot a very nice Kudu bull in June. The Guide told me it was big money, I gave the thumbs up accepting it.
    Ended up as a Trophy bull, I paid the listed price. Farmer was still upset as they had some Americans lined up later for Trophies now there was one less. I politely told him to F**K off and stop complaining as he did not tell anyone (including the guides) that any animals were off limit.

Next time I went out I was clearly told by the guide not to shoot a particular alpha bull that we saw.
    This concept kinda takes the fun out of hunting.

Gives it a business type feeling, that which I get away from whiles hunting.

Free range for me, none of this nonsense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2