Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Skyscreen blown off

If your muzzle blast took the skyscreens off, your chrony is too close.

Muzzle blast can cause the chrony to move, affecting accuracy of the measurement. Doesnt help to chrony loads, but you cant trust the results!

User

Agree with the guys, chrony probably too close. Try it at 6m.

User

Thanks all for observations.

User

It shouldn't matter how far the chrony is from the rifle, it will still read the velocity. You can always adjust the reading by a few ft/sec with respect to the distance from the rifle. I imagine with 102g that must be quite a blast, so moving it back won't do much harm, as I'm sure the suggested distance is a gestimate based on most medium bore rifles. Just don't shoot the chrony.

Banned

The problem with a chrony to close to the muzzle is just not the physical affect on the chrony itself, but that the fast moving gas also triggers the sensors and you then get false readings. Five to six meters is then a practical distance to still be able to see the display and avoid the gases.

User

Follow up on this. Took another batch of loads down to the range to start shooting for groups. Set the Chrony up at max dist that cable and range allowed which was 3.5m muzzle to unit. Adjusted so Chrony was square and level by eye and set with short length of the skyscreen arms in the unit, ie brass ferrules around 5 inch above unit, Used the crosshair on the brass ferrule of the skyscreen arm to get all shots passing over the unit at same height.

Nine shots from the 416 Rigby (also had some stuff to sort out with another rifle which would be food for another thread some time) clocked max 2743 fps and min 2714 fps, so looks like a pretty decent set of readings without any technical issues. Probably throttle back to just under 2700 fps for a regular load.

Thanks to all for previous comments and advice.

User

The 416 Rigby case has about the same capacity as the 416 Weatherby. If the rifle can take the pressure and bolt trust, you could theoretically load it to Weatherby pressure levels. I would, however, not do it!

Also keep in mind that the muzzle blast can affect the chrono readings. At 3,5m, you are still pretty close considering the 416's muzzle blast.

A longer cable, or reading the display trough a scope, could help to get the chrono out of the blast zone.

I just put the screen on the ground or something, minimum 5m.

Look a bit when you shoot what shockwave gets exerted on the hanging cable at 5m.

Banned

Shooting 50 gr's of propellant through a .270 with chroni at 2/3 m often results in false readings and chroni being blasted visibly. I battled for years until Driepoot set me right ( seldom spoken -solid advice Driepoot). My chroni now stands at 4 - 5 m for my rifles, I would imagine 90+ grains would need a lot more space than 50 gr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2