Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Novice Knife Makers Thread

Apocza that is a really good looking knife.

Sent from my SM-G900F

User

Following. I have a lot to learn

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by apocza View Post
    Thanks fkritzinger, super useful tips. I did build a jig, my second knife was done on the jig. I also put a bucket of water next to my grinder and dunk my knife often, one doesn't realize how quickly that steel gets hot. I got proper belts from a local supplier, cheap and they have a huge variety. The blue belts really work so much better, I used them for the first time last night. Like you say, the little machine is more than capable. I will pop over to the forum, thanks!

Thanks HJordaan and yeah, I had an early lesson with the belt and my fingers - I had a very squared off and painful thumbnail for a while :D

Some progress pics on the current knife can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/yiVM7 It's my second knife and a clone of Aaron Gough's Resolute. My first knife was an ugly (but sharp and hard) file knife. Third knife you can see in the heat treating pic is going to be a small Santoku.

Anyone got suggestions for a finish on the wild olive? I was thinking of just going with boiled linseed which would look pretty, but probably not the most durable finish. This will be a camp knife, it wont see much abuse but I would like to give it a rinse under the tap if I need to.
    For the finish, use superglue.
    Give it a solid coat all over, let dry, then buff and polish

User

Quote Originally Posted by da_asassin View Post
    For the finish, use superglue.
    Give it a solid coat all over, let dry, then buff and polish
    Wow, seriously? Is that like the poor mans nitrocellulose lacquer?

I did a test to compare Linseed and Armadek and I think I will go with the Armadek:

Not to mention I have raw linseed oil, compared to boiled linseed which contains solvents the raw linseed will take forever and a day to dry and will need a few coats. Oh and the current state of things, the hardened steel is taking its sweet time to put an edge on:

User

I have given up trying to put a new edge on with the lansky, I take the 1x30 and a 400 grit and a couple of passes later the blade is sorted.

Sent from my SM-G900F

User

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus View Post
    I have given up trying to put a new edge on with the lansky, I take the 1x30 and a 400 grit and a couple of passes later the blade is sorted. Sent from my SM-G900F
    +1 on this!

once you get that little thin metal film right on the edge you know it is SHARP! to safely remove that, I use one of the old used up belts. flip it over the the canvas side is on the outside. run the machine, and apply a little buffing soap. then run the blade over the bit of belt with NO platen behind it. just a quick run, do not over do it... ideally you do this polishing with a leather strop, or a leather belt, but the canvas back of the belt is a reasonable plan B

I typically run the 400grit 2x on each side. that is enough to raise the edge, then 1 pass on each side to take off the film. shaving sharp edge...

User

Nice, I like that idea. I need to go get some higher grit belts.

User

400 is the highest grit belts I have, and use so far. I DO use 600 and 800grit wet sanding paper to handfinsh to a satin or semi-gloss finish. use a nice flat piece of wood as a sanding block, and mount your blade on a piece of wood that extends just past the tip! I have a couple of punctures on my fingers (one nicely under my thumb nail) to prove that it is NOT a good idea to just clamp the blade to the edge of the table for hand sanding... even a semi sharp blade does not discriminate against its maker... it will gladly cut!

User

I use a piece of g10 as a sanding block not perfect but I found the piece of wood I originally used would compress and take on the shape of the blade leaving the finish a bit wobbly.

I still want to make a sanding block like Gough or simple little life, just need to get access to a mill.

I have tried 800 grit for sharpening it just doesn't seem to work as nicely as the 400, the other thing that helps is to after sharpening instead of running just over leather is to run the edge under a buffing wheel and then strop a couple times gives a nice mirror finish.

Also if you want to get cut properly force patina some carbon steel in hot vinegar and pick it up assuming the edge is still dull, nearly took the whole front of my ring finger off.

Sent from my SM-G900F

User

A friend of mine made me a Gough sanding block and it works so well. Maybe not as durable as an alu one but does the job for now:

Current state of affairs, edge is mighty sharp - but not quite shaving sharp so need to work on it a bit more:

I applied the armadek but I was not happy with the finish once it dried so I sanded it back down to bare wood. After doing a lot of research I would like to try out a quality oil like tung or danish. However, so far no luck tracking any down locally. Oh and my Santoku has progressed well too.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast