Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default German sniper scope OPTIKOTECHNA 4x 6°

I hope posted in the right forum. My rifle have nice history behind it. How this rifle ended up in South Africa is unknown, it is in my families possession for about 60 / 70 years now . As far as what I could fined out is that the number on the telescope claw is the original serial number of the BRNO barrel and was build in 1947. This rifle of mine has a Musgrave 234 barrel and not the original BRNO barrel. The stock, Brno action and telescope original. I could only found one looking exactly similar rifle as mine in the USA.

German sniper scope OPTIKOTECHNA 4x 6°

Very rare sniper scope OPTIKOTECHNA with both rings the double claw mount. The lenses are not damaged - clear. The buyer will receive everything that you see in the pictures - this item is exactly how is described and corresponds with the pictures.
    The company's history dates back to 1933, when the production plant "Optikotechna" was founded in the city of Prerov by Dipl. Ing. Benes. It was here that Dr. Antonin Mazurek constructed the first Czechoslovakian lens system. While at the time Europe was still caught in an economic depression, this little company managed to grow. Then Nazi Germany invaded and Hitler's expansionism brought the company firmly under the Wehrmacht's control.

One of the items needed to wage a modern war are precision optics, so Optikotechna was a valuable asset to the German war machine. Throughout the war years 1939 to 1945, the optico-mechanicle production in Prerov was continually developed and refined. Among other precision optical devices, they produced scopes for sniper rifles during World War II. These included such items as the Zielfernrohr 41 (telescopic sight 41, a long eye relief 'scout' type sniper scope for the Karabiner 98k), and the Zielfernrohr 4-fach (telescopic sight 4 power as used on the Selbstladegewehr 43 sniper variant).

Interestingly, Optikotechna also produced a scope, probably exclusively, for a Waffen SS sniping variant of the 98k. Known as the "double claw" mount 98k, this sniper rifle used a mounting system that was almost identical to that used by Ceskoslovenska Zbrojovka, AS (Czechoslovak Arms Factory, Ltd.) on pre-war sporting rifles. For this rifle, Optikotechna produced a surprisingly modern 4x sniper scope. Features of which included a BDC calibrated to 800 or 1,200 meters, large objective lens, a focusable ocular lens, and, for the time period, superb light transmission and resolving power.

This was arguably the finest sniper scope of the war. It's interesting to think how many collectors over the years have admired the "superb German optics" on some of these sniper rifles without ever knowing they were actually Czech. The only way to identify them being their wartime code, "dow."

Postwar Evolution

Optikotechna eventually became today's Meopta. After the war they went on to become well known in the world of photography. They produced cameras, lenses, projectors, enlargers, and movie cameras. However, the Soviet invasion of 1968 placed Czechoslovakia firmly behind the Iron Curtain. This led to their products being almost unknown here in the United States. However, this is changing, and Meopta is quite interested in the U.S. market.

BRNO ARMS (ZBROJOVKA BRNO) RIFLES: BOLT ACTION The Brno Lightweight Sporter was introduced in the late 1930s. A small quantity was manufactured during pre-war and WWII. Most production occured between 1946-1955. Total production of this model was approx. 40,000+ units. A design change was implemented at approximately serial number 23,000, at which time the receiver was changed to a double square bridge dovetailed to accept scope mounts.
    Earlier mfg. had a rounded receiver and some had claw type scope mounts installed. These guns were referenced as Models 21 and 22 domestically, but no model designation appears on the gun. Available cals. were 6.5x57mm, 7x57mm, 7x64mm, 8x57mm, or 8x60mm. Configuration was small ring Mauser 98 receiver with double set trigger(s), butterknife bolt, checkered walnut pistol grip stock (half or full length), with cheekpiece and sling swivels, late production incorporated four variations and two barrel lengths (20.5 or 23.6 in.).
    Brno rifles may be dated by the two digit date beside the proofmarks. Brno's rifle designations typically indicated the Brno Z brand and the designer. Hence, a ZG47 was manufactured by the factory in Zbrojovka Brno, G refers to Otakar Galas, the designer, and 47 is most likely the year of design.

More Pictures availible
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: German sniper scope OPTIKOTECHNA 4x 6°

I would like to know if there is other OPTIKOTECHNA 4x 6° scope in South Africa ?

I would like to know if there is other OPTIKOTECHNA 4x 6° scope in South Africa ?

Very neat! Unfortunately I do not know the answer to your question though.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

I have a model 21 made in 1947 with this scope. Unfortunately it took a knock and the lens is damaged.it is a beautiful well balanced rifle in 7x57. Complete with mannlicher style butter knife bolt Handel.Incidently Brno factories used to assemble mannlicher rifles but this ended with Hitler's invasion and priority was given to military production.

Thanks for your feedback on the post

What caliber is yours.

Mine is a .243. This rifle of mine has a Musgrave 234 barrel and not the original BRNO barrel. The stock, Brno action and telescope original. I could only found one looking exactly similar rifle as mine in the USA. As you could see on the fotos looks the same as on the original ones.

I have one on my Model 21 Brno 6.5x57 (original rifle, save for having been re-blued and a Pachmayer recoil pad fitted on it). The rifle has a rounded receiver with base mounts for the claw mounts dovetailed into the receiver, half stock, 20.5" barrel and was manufactured in 1947. Scope body still in a fairly good condition given the age of it with no dents. Lenses still perfect with German #1 reticle. Rifle serial number stamped on the bottom of the left front claw leg. A beautiful rifle and scope.
    Dirtbuster, are you still using your Meopta?

Quote Originally Posted by AndreBrits View Post
    I have one on my Model 21 Brno 6.5x57 (original rifle, save for having been re-blued and a Pachmayer recoil pad fitted on it). The rifle has a rounded receiver with base mounts for the claw mounts dovetailed into the receiver, half stock, 20.5" barrel and was manufactured in 1947. Scope body still in a fairly good condition given the age of it with no dents. Lenses still perfect with German #1 reticle. Rifle serial number stamped on the bottom of the left front claw leg. A beautiful rifle and scope.
    Dirtbuster, are you still using your Meopta?
    It's still on the rifle but it is damaged- looking for a new one...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast