Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Rifle safe mounting....yes again

Yip, the old question of mounting a safe according to the SABS specs.

Every time I ask someone the question, the immediate answer is 4x "m10x80" rawlbolts mimimum with 30mm x3mm washers. MUST be floor and wall (so at least 2x bolts in each)....and that is where I differ.
    I then get pointed to the SABS specs. Extract that has been circulated here on GS copied below..

================================================== ==========================
    "type B2 firearms safe
    a safe intended for the storage of up to 10 firearms and their ammunition

4.6 Means of securing a safe
    4.6.1 General
    A safe of net mass 300 kg or less containing any firearm(s) shall always be permanently fixed either
    inside a structure (see 4.6.2) or in a vehicle (see 4.6.3). Safes shall never be left standing loose.
    4.6.2 Inside structures
    A safe shall be affixed flush to the floor or wall (or preferably both) or other immovable structure or
    part thereof of a house, flat, residence or other dwelling place.
    Where the floor is not suitable for fixing with M10 × 80 mm long (penetration length) anchor bolts,
    the safe shall be fixed to a concrete base of strength 15 MPa of dimensions
    300 mm deep × 450 mm × 450 mm or the dimensions of the safe, whichever dimensions are the
    greater.
    Where the wall is constructed of hollow core brick, the holes shall be filled with a non-shrink grout or
    epoxy/sand mixture of 10 MPa strength for the fixing of the M10 × 80 mm long (penetration length)
    anchor bolts.

6 Particular requirements for type B safes
    6.1 Wall thickness
    The wall thickness of a type B safe shall be as follows:
    a) the wall thickness of the floor, roof and sides shall be at least 2,8 mm, but may be thicker; and
    b) the wall thickness of the door shall be at least 5,75 mm, but may be thicker.

6.2 Means of securing a type B safe
    6.2.1 General
    A type B safe shall be provided with holes of diameter suitable to accommodate a bolt of diameter
    at least 10 mm.

6.2.3 Type B2 safes
    Type B2 safes shall have at least two holes in the back wall or in the side walls (or in both), and two
    holes in the floor plate.

7 Packing and marking
    7.1 Packing
    Each safe shall be supplied with anchor bolts of size M10 and with a penetration depth of 80 mm
    and washers 30 mm in diameter and of thickness at least 3 mm.""

================================================== ==========================

The bold and underlined sections above and specifically the word "OR" confirm to me that it needs to be EITHER in the WALL with minimum 4 bolts OR EITHER in the FLOOR OR a combination of the 2.
    The rest of the points in the document, 6 and on, pertain to the specification laid out to the manufacturer of the safe. Yes, they have to supply the safe with holes in the back and floor, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to affix it to the floor if you already have it affixed with 4 bolts(min) in into the wall.

Am I reading this correctly? Please indicate if you feel otherwise and why.

User

Default Re: Rifle safe mounting....yes again

Mine's only fixed to the wall. I have that annoying false bottom floor in my cupboards above the cement floor.

You don't need to affix the safe to both the wall and the floor. And/Or is sufficient.

User

Tsa, you are indeed reading it correctly.

User

I anchor my rifle safe to as many surfaces as I can, preferably to 2 walls and the floor. For me, it's more about doing the most I can to prevent theft than it is complying with the minimum requirements of the law.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

I also have the false bottom problem, and have mounted into the corner of the 2 walls. Used 3 bolts on each wall. top and bottom bolts are at outer edge, center bolt is closer to middle/inside edge. I am confident that I have at least tried to be 1up on the minimum requirements...

It talks about anchor bolts, which as I understand are not necessarily rawl bolts?

User

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGregory View Post
    It talks about anchor bolts, which as I understand are not necessarily rawl bolts?
    You get chemical anchors, which is quite a common one to use too.

Yip, you read right.

I affixed my rifle safe in a cupboard.

Same problem regarding false bottom, so 4 bolts into the wall.

If you check the back of the pack, especially on the BW brand rawls- not sleeve anchors- those are no good imho- you'll see a weight guide for each size of rawl. (BW will be slightly less than original Rawl, I'd hazard a guess.)

I figured 900kg x 4 was good enough. So did the DFO.

User

Slight hijack.... Does a rifle safe have to be hidden away, or can I bolt it say in the corner of my room? The reason I ask is that my built in cupboards have very little space even for the smallest rifle safe, and I would have to possibly lay it flat to get it right. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I am also ensuring the safe has a weight of 600 kg minimum, nobody gonna carry that out in a hurry.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast