Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Rifle safe mounting....yes again

Quote Originally Posted by Narcan View Post
    I would just like to mention that no matter the tips, specs etc. from this post, I had to sign a form at the SAPS office stating that my safe was fitted to the floor and wall with 2 RAWL bolts each.

My first rifle safe was fitted with 6 M12x90 rawls to the wall and 2 to the floor. I bought a new safe that I would like to attach with chemical anchors, and bought 10 x (M12x110) Hilti Chem anchor bolts for this purpose.

I submitted 2 new applications last week and again I had to sign that form. Should I ignore that sworn statement? Think I will do the bolts and then do extra chemical anchors just in case.
    Was it an official SAPS form?
    "Forms" cannot supersede the law.
    The law (FCA here) simply states that the safe must conform to the standards set forth by the SABS 953-1 and 953-2 (I think these are the right standards).
    The standards do NOT say wall AND floor.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Knoffel View Post
    Was it an official SAPS form?
    "Forms" cannot supersede the law.
    The law (FCA here) simply states that the safe must conform to the standards set forth by the SABS 953-1 and 953-2 (I think these are the right standards).
    The standards do NOT say wall AND floor.
    It was a form with the SAPS logo on it, but not the same as the one I got from the net - my point is just that I am not going to give them ANY excuse to point a finger at me.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Narcan View Post
    It was a form with the SAPS logo on it, but not the same as the one I got from the net - my point is just that I am not going to give them ANY excuse to point a finger at me.
    Fair enough.
    Only thing my DFO makes me sign is the licence application form

User

This is the lady at Mondeor Police station. I am sure there are more people that have to sign that form - Anyway, I need to figure out a way to get my safe bolted - do you think I must cut the carpet so it is on cement? Probably...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    The sort of chipboard floors in cupboards that are about 100mm above the concrete floor below are no barrier but it does require some messy work. A hole can be cut with a jig saw and a concrete pad cast on the concrete floor below the cupboard. The new concrete pad must itself be anchored to the existing floor because it is not big enough to resist lifting out with the safe. The job must be carefully waterproofed because wet concrete is VERY wet and the chipboard from which most cupboards are made expands and splits with very little wetting. But it is not a difficult job for a half decent handyman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver_WP View Post
    I solved the false bottom cupboard problem exactly as Dickinson has described - cut out a corner of false floor and laid a concrete step to be just less than the cupboard bottom.

4 x chemical anchors into wall plus 2 x chemical anchors into the floor. The floor anchors penetrate 110mm into the original floor, excluding the platform so the platform is sandwiched between the floor and the safe floor.
    Apologies to dredge up this thread. But I'm in the same situation as above and wondered what the purpose of the concrete step is, and reason for not securing a safe straight onto a floor when one has a false cupboard floor?
    Lastly I'm not planning on staying in my current residence permanently so that rules outs chemical anchors, would rawl bolts be suitable to use on the base/floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Equity View Post
    Slight hijack.... Does a rifle safe have to be hidden away, or can I bolt it say in the corner of my room? The reason I ask is that my built in cupboards have very little space even for the smallest rifle safe, and I would have to possibly lay it flat to get it right. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A bit of a resurrect, but just wanted to get some opinions on @Equity's question

There’s nothing to say it must be hidden away.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

As above. Most would say to hide it in the master bedroom closet, as if it is not the one place searched first during a break-in. Followed by every other closet.

Common sense would be to just mount it in a place where it is out of view from casual visitors.

Apologies to derail the thread
    Can I hand over a new (first) rifle application without a safe yet? I read somewhere where they say, after consideration the DFO will call to give applicant 2 weeks to install a safe before the licence is printed

User

Quote Originally Posted by J HILL View Post
    Apologies to derail the thread
    Can I hand over a new (first) rifle application without a safe yet? I read somewhere where they say, after consideration the DFO will call to give applicant 2 weeks to install a safe before the licence is printed
    Best would be to visit YOUR DFO & discuss their process...
    Not all the DFO's follow same procedure.
    With all my applications, i had to add a pic of the safe & give a short description of how i mounted them...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast