Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Reloading data - 357 SIG - help needed

Thanks Brendank.

Just been past 2 local shops & they have neither in stock. Glad to hear that there are some on the way.
    At one store, gent said he would have a look at my setup to see where i was possibly going wrong with the bottleneck cartridge.

But think taper crimp is the solution for consistency (imo).

Making headway .....Kalahari tracked down a Lee factory crimp die ....... should be here in next 2 days.

I am getting much better results after I downloaded SAAMI spec at http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc.../357%20Sig.pdf and kept overall length and all neck dia's to within 3/100 of a mm of spec. In 100 shots .....zero failures.

User

Good to hear African. Also had a good weekend re reloading the sig. Did some YouTube searches and the guys are doing 2 things differently to me. They don't lube cases, and they run the case through a .40s&w carbide sizing die prior to running it through the 357 one...
    havent shot any of the rounds yet, but they all "plop" into the chamber like factory ammo now. Looking forward to the weekend.

Hmm ....... sounds good ....... key tool for 357 sig is a Vernier it seems. Also, I only lube every 5th case. Then clean by boiling with drop of Sunlight and dry. Will do 40 die resize as well.

User

Just a question (from somebody not reloading this calibre yet, but due to start soon).

Are 147gr bullets easier to load/crimp than the shorter 124gr projectiles in this calibre? If so, what would be the reason for this? If my reasoning is correct (it might very well not be!) then the short neck of the 357 will grip the bullet just before it starts to taper towards the meplat (in other words just below the shoulder of the bullet). This will mean that it will grip both the 147gr and 124gr in the same place, with the difference being that the 147gr will extend further into the case than the 124gr, and OAL remaining the same.

My intention is basically to start and stay with 124 gr bullets in this calibre.

User

I am taking a shot in dark, without a vernier at hand; but I think the body of the Frontier 124 FP CMJ is longer than the neck of the case, so wouldn't be a benefit being any longer. Would have to check to be sure, but it will be very close.

User

The body of the FP frontier is longer than the neck, so I was also thinking it should be as "easy" to seat tightly as a longer bullet. Thanks Spez247.

User

The good news is that I fired off 50 reloads yesterday, without the slightest issue.
    All of them fed reliably and went bang, with a well centered mark on the primer.

Happy days.

Seems running it through the 40 without lube is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Spez247 View Post
    The good news is that I fired off 50 reloads yesterday, without the slightest issue.
    All of them fed reliably and went bang, with a well centered mark on the primer.
    Spez247 ..... what was your load and well done :-)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Spez247 View Post

Happy days.

Seems running it through the 40 without lube is the way to go.
    Have seen this a while ago as well. Glad it worked.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast