Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: 2 New Scopes Needed

lynx 2.5-15x50 will be perfect for the 260. I have one on my 222 and spotting gongs or attempting to hit them on a windless day at 500m is not a problem at all.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFW View Post
    I believe that we tend to overspec our optics in respect of features and end up with way more complicated units than we need.
    Steve

While I understand what you are saying, I believe a blanket statement doesn't cover the subject.

I believe the skill and experience of the operator either allows him to use equipment correctly, or that the lack of that causes it to be a burden to him.

Hence advice on forums are tricky at best, what works for one person doesn't work for another.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Steve

I believe the skill and experience of the operator either allows him to use equipment correctly, or that the lack of that causes it to be a burden to him.
    I fully agree with this statement. However, if you need to ask this question you probably do not have a lot of experience and, consequently, your skill levels are not all that high. In any activity, it is better to learn the basics first. Neither you or me started hunting with variable scopes with adjustable objectives and high magnification.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I fully agree with this statement. However, if you need to ask this question you probably do not have a lot of experience and, consequently, your skill levels are not all that high. In any activity, it is better to learn the basics first. Neither you or me started hunting with variable scopes with adjustable objectives and high magnification.
    Mr Stone

That is what we did, been there done that.

But then gunsite is not only about giving advice on equipment, but also guidance.

You see hunters are a weird bunch, everybody caught up in history, meaning they believe in that which have historically worked for their elders, and indeed for themselves. So then telling someone to get something they cannot mess up is rather......can’t find the word now, better explain it with a scenario.

You see I think more people ask for handgun advice than hunting advice here, thus people should know what I am talking about now.

Scenario :
    Question
    My wife wants to start carrying, I am thinking about a snubby revolver. It’s very simplistic, it never fails all she have to do is pull the trigger. Much more reliable than one of these fancy new plastic pistols. Am I on the correct track?

Answer
    Stop treating your wife as some kind of useless inept individual. Get her the correct equipment and training to use the equipment correctly.

Back to our topic then, if we give equipment advice on the premise that we must keep it simple otherwise those receiving the advice might not be skilled enough to use the equipment then perhaps we are not giving good advice. I mean before we should mention any equipment the first and foremost advice we should give is get to know the equipment to such a degree that it’s second nature.

You have to deal with the results of the problem as I described, so I fully understand how you feel about the subject. But then also I know you would agree practice and training is what makes or breaks equipment. That is why I told Steve it’s hard to give advice online.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    That is why I told Steve it’s hard to give advice online.
    Agree 100%.

In my experience sound decision making starts with proper problem definition. Clear problem definition allows for the development of a matrix of criteria which any solution should fulfill and an objective evaluation of the merits of the various solutions vis a vis one another. My observation, qualified by personal experience, was to gently suggest that it may be worth the OP reviewing his realistic requirements rather than getting caught up in an equipment race.

You can't buy accuracy, you learn it from training, practice and familiarity with your equipment, and then practicing some more. There is no doubt about the pleasure of owning and using beautiful (in the eye of the beholder) high quality equipment but the commitment to learning to use it is far more important than the money spent in acquiring it.

Apologies to the OP for the thread hi-jack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2