Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Genuine R4 rifles

I am curious to know how many genuine R4 rifles are out there in civilian hands. They are typically distinct by virtue of serial number (often ending "A1 " "A2") but more easily told apart from the LM civilian version by virtue of a prominent "ring" protrusion around the front of the gas tube.

Has anyone ever seen one?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Default Re: Genuine R4 rifles

I know of one that is in a collection and still capable of firing on the full auto setting but as to how many are in civilian hands, that I do not know. I might know of a couple more but I would have to confirm whether they are genuine R4 or just the LM civilian versions

User

I think the ring around the front edge of the gas tube is a later local mod. The early R4's did not have them. It is also difficult to tell which parts were imported Israeli made and which were local. The part should be identical on both R and LM variants.

Some LM's also have the auto sear in, but ground down. Others just have a gap in there, the holes in the receiver was not even drilled. Mostly, the "A" selector notch is welded shut too.

My own LM6 was originally built with auto sear and "A" selector notch. Then the auto sear and hammer were ground down to de-activate the function. My guess is it was a surplus R6, so got "converted" to an LM6.

The first "R4" I was issued with, was an original Galil. It had the shorter aluminium stock and the trigger and hammer used a single spring. The local production versions I got later, had the longer plastic stock, seperate hammer and trigger springs, along with different machining cuts in the receiver. IIRC, they also had the reinforcing ring around the front edge of the gas tube.

I examined an almost mint R5, that went to another GS member for a bargain price. It was built on a Galil receiver with the dovetail cut on the left receiver wall. I'm quite sure it also had the gas tube ring. The "A" notch on that one was welded shut.

A lot of guns were built on the full auto receivers, and most of the LM6's.
    There were also a lot of guns, including later ones, that used Galil receivers. Not sure if it's possible to call something an LM4 vs an R4 unless it is full auto, and don't know if any Cat A ones that ended up on the market via normal means.

The genuine R4's had a different serial number range. Also, the post-fix of "A1" for example indicated the presence of the elastomer bush modification.

Trick question: Can anyone here tell me the purpose of the ring around the front of the gas tube? It is correct that that the very earliest versions did not have that ring. It was very soon introduced though for a very specific reason.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

As they say about marriage and engines, a ring doesn't close a hole, it just causes more compression.

Errmmm, say what ???

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

I can only guess that the ring reinforces the gas tube. I have never seen one split there, so why was this done? The R4 was strengthened in several areas, compared to the Galil. The wider sear hooks on the trigger for example. This might have been a similar mod.

A-R, nope. But it does have something to do with running full auto, which is why you don't see it on the LM.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Expansion chamber?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast