Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Genuine R4 rifles

Hi WZ. I also have a genuine R4, very low serial no. 000018 - on left side of receiver just behind the hand-guard retainer. Nothing on barrel or gas-block. Prototype or pre-production run?
    It strangely has the usual 'P' in oval proof mark - strange 'cos it's a cutaway :-) Also ln that it has a cutaway Galil butt. I got it direct from LIW so it has not been messed with.
    Available if you want to add it to your LM/R collection.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    One LM5 that seems to be built by Vektor on a dovetailed (Galil style) receiver is in GS'er JS4's posession, IIRC.
    The late Doug Kirton showed me a bunch of LM6. This was years ago but they appeared to be factory made.This was my understanding at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    Hi WZ. I also have a genuine R4, very low serial no. 000018 - on left side of receiver just behind the hand-guard retainer. Nothing on barrel or gas-block. Prototype or pre-production run?
    It strangely has the usual 'P' in oval proof mark - strange 'cos it's a cutaway :-) Also ln that it has a cutaway Galil butt. I got it direct from LIW so it has not been messed with.
    Available if you want to add it to your LM/R collection.
    Done deal Pete. I'll touch sides offline.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    The late Doug Kirton showed me a bunch of LM6. This was years ago but they appeared to be factory made.This was my understanding at the time.
    Built on a Galil receiver?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by MrK View Post
    Good info on this thread. Most Galils I have come across also have the serial number on the receiver and not on the gasblock.

I once came across a scope mount that slots into the dovetail on the Galil receiver. I found this to be superior to the body cover (or dust cover) type mount as used in the military.

Some of the Combat Rifle shooters I know claim that the Galil is marginally more accurate than the R rifles. A good friend and an excellent shot, always chose his rifles based on the position of the gas port in the barrel. The other claim they made is that magazine fit and even the individual magazines had an effect on accuracy. He claimed that some magazines sit higher in the rifle, thus causing the rounds to enter the chamber more in a straight line when fed.
    Indeed, the Galil has a different twist rate in the barrel and from what I have seen in our league shoots, the Galil seems to like the newer ammo more than the R-4/-5/LM rifles. Where our rifles struggle to shoot good groups with most of the 2012 ammo at 200 and especially 300m, the Galil puts them in a lovely group. We only get similar results with '86 and '87 ammo in our R-X rifles or LM's. I believe the guys shooting Nationals this week are using '86 and '87 ammo and are shooting awesome scores!

As for magazines, they do make a difference. I have noticed that when shooting ten round groups, when using magazines that tend to be slightly lower, it does cause the round not to feed straight into the chamber which tends to screw with the projectile. This does affect accuracy. What you tend to find often is that you would get a 5-round group in one place and slightly lower and to the right, another 5 round group. The groups also seem not to be that tight. When using a different magazine that has a good fit, the groups are consistent and tighter.

Regards

Werner

User

Damn WZ you beat me to it lol...

Regards

Werner

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Built on a Galil receiver?Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Yes.

User

Gone to WZ. Thanks for interest guys.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Werner747 View Post
    Indeed, the Galil has a different twist rate in the barrel and from what I have seen in our league shoots, the Galil seems to like the newer ammo more than the R-4/-5/LM rifles.
    Am up for correction here but the 1:12 twist rate of the R/LM series is designed to fire the 56gr M1A3 ball round.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    Gone to WZ. Thanks for interest guys.
    You should check your SMS's more often

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast