User

Default Gun-free signs don't mean illegal gun-free.

Please move if it's not the right forum.

So if guns aren't allowed in a place it makes it safer for everyone involved, right?

Well this is the case at Menlyn Maine in Pretoria East.
    They have no firearm signs plastered at each of the entrances. So it's safe and I don't have to worry, because the bad people won't bring their guns, since they obey the signs.

Wrong. As usual.

Two armed guys just robbed the watch store there and drove off.

Default Re: Gun-free signs don't mean illegal gun-free.

Yup. The oldest rule in the book proven time and again, which has been the case ever since wheel lock was invented*, is that if you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns.+

*Which was sought to be banned because of the fear that unlike the matchlock, it could be carried concealed.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

So with these gun free zone posters. That only invokes their right of admission privileges. They can ask you to leave. So cary concealed, and know there is a risk that if you are made, you will be asked to leave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    So with these gun free zone posters. That only invokes their right of admission privileges. They can ask you to leave. So cary concealed, and know there is a risk that if you are made, you will be asked to leave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty much. There is the Firearm Free Zone which has to be promulgated by law which is different. But I don't think there are any of those yet.

Frankly, any public space that puts these signs up should also have SAPS approved storage facilities mandatory.

User

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi_ View Post
    Frankly, any public space that puts these signs up should also have SAPS approved storage facilities mandatory.
    Sorry but that will not work in the building where I work. The signs make it impossible to carry an 1851 Navy Colt percussion revolver. Have you ever tried unloading one of those quickly before a meeting?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Yup. The oldest rule in the book proven time and again, which has been the case ever since wheel lock was invented*, is that if you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns.+

*Which was sought to be banned because of the fear that unlike the matchlock, it could be carried concealed.
    Predating these in English royal courts, there were restrictions as to where even nobelmen were allowed to carry their swords. Obviously anywhere near the King or Queen was expressly forbidden.

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    Sorry but that will not work in the building where I work. The signs make it impossible to carry an 1851 Navy Colt percussion revolver. Have you ever tried unloading one of those quickly before a meeting?
    Apparently the quickest way to unload them is to cock the hammer and pull the trigger. Repeat 5 times. If you hold the trigger in, you could just fan the hammer - even quicker unload.