Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Catfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Knoffel View Post

Yeah, I must admit I've seen BIG catfish before.... ones that would eat this one for lunch.... that said, I don't think you can hold it up by the gills.
    A quick google search shows the record for sharptooth catfish is 42.5 kg.

This seems low to me, as 30 kg + monsters are a regular occurrence in the Orange river, is it not?
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Default Re: Catfish.

Yeah, I must admit I've seen BIG catfish before.... ones that would eat this one for lunch.... that said, I don't think you can hold it up by the gills.
    Swimbaiting a barbel for another barbel? Never seen that before I know it's been done using diamonds for Zambies in Zululand...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    A quick google search shows the record for sharptooth catfish is 42.5 kg.

This seems low to me, as 30 kg + monsters are a regular occurrence in the Orange river, is it not?
    For a fish to be a record, the angler must comply with the fishing rules, which includes line weight and whatnot.

That 42.5 is not a record of the largest specimen ever found, which I doubt have been documented, it's a record under a fishing discipline/sport.

Fish over 30kg are plentiful in the orange, at T-stone's location much bigger stuff than 42.5kg's are swimming around.

This was a list of official and unofficial records.

Actually where I'm getting at, what's the biggest sharptooth catfish any of you guys know of?

User

I don't think you can hold it up by the gills.
    You don't, you pick it up by the mouth, like any size baber for that matter.

User

Actually where I'm getting at, what's the biggest sharptooth catfish any of you guys know of?
    Not sure of the weight, but have heard of HUGE barbel at the Vaal dam wall. Literally just sit at the bottom and vacuum up anything that falls in the water.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    You don't, you pick it up by the mouth, like any size baber for that matter.
    There is a ridge on the underside, a 'chin' if you will, which works well for picking them up.

User

Catfish records are remarkably poorly documented.

But oooold photo's in the magazines of yesteryear show catfish sizes about double that of the current record.
    The problem is nobody weighed those fish.

I remember in a fishing magazine(from before I was born) there was an account of a farm worker that used a 6" nail and some type of baaltou.
    They loaded the fish on the first gen land cruiser, with the head against the cabin the tail almost reached the ground, or was on the ground, cant remember now. Problem is like all game animals in SA many species was merely wiped out due to ignorance, catfish was among them.

Also, catfish takes very long to get old, many of the young folk doesn't realize that in reality the orange river is not a perennial river, we made it such, hence most records was situated along deep pools that retained water year round.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Catfish records are remarkably poorly documented.

But oooold photo's in the magazines of yesteryear show catfish sizes about double that of the current record.
    The problem is nobody weighed those fish.

I remember in a fishing magazine(from before I was born) there was an account of a farm worker that used a 6" nail and some type of baaltou.
    They loaded the fish on the first gen land cruiser, with the head against the cabin the tail almost reached the ground, or was on the ground, cant remember now. Problem is like all game animals in SA many species was merely wiped out due to ignorance, catfish was among them.

Also, catfish takes very long to get old, many of the young folk doesn't realize that in reality the orange river is not a perennial river, we made it such, hence most records was situated along deep pools that retained water year round.
    The Orange river is famous for it's super large barbel, more so than any other water body in S.A.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast