Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Silicon spray as a protection film

I was instructed to use a drying silicon spray recently for a application where lubrication was wanted but wetness was a no no. After spraying it on it took some to dry to what appeared to be gone, but the moving part now worked with ease. So there must have been some film on surface. As always this got me thinking fire arms ( does not take much to get me thinking same thoughts as two minutes ago again, f/a).
    Now how do you lot think this stuff would work on a fire arm as a dry protective film, I will try it soon, but just in case there is sever or known warning i mentioned the intention.

User

Default Re: Silicon spray as a protection film

I use ballistiol, oil based yet once wiped off leaves a very smooth coating, as it absorbes into the metal

good enough since ww1, good enough for me!

User

I use it on my reloading gear. The dies, and the moving parts of the press.
    I have not used it on any of my firearms yet. Except for an airrifle. Fluid film does not combust and toast your piston, so best stuff to ise in airgun.

Banned

I know there is stuff to be bought, but I like to learn, try , find out stuff. I think there are many branded items that are just packaging or barely above that. New uses and new ideas do not come from not think outside the box. Ballistol is pretty awesome.

User

i dont think you would have an issue with regards to safety, i personally just found silicone spray to attract more dirt than regular products

but as you said, its always good to learn and try

Banned

Wet I have found this also, but dry ??? - you recon ?
    Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    i dont think you would have an issue with regards to safety, i personally just found silicone spray to attract more dirt than regular products

but as you said, its always good to learn and try

User

Silicon sprays and lubes are banned in my workshop and house. It propagates on to every surface and when it gets to the spray room forget about getting a nice smooth finish on any sprayed surface. It messes with glue adhesion etc.

Trying to get it off a surface is near impossible.

User

not dry, but gummy

User

I used to spary my steel framed bicycle with silicone spray when i moved to the coast in the hope that it would prevent rust. I can't say it worked 100%, but it did work to a point.

Go to LSB and get a tin of fluid film. That is all i use on my firearms at the coast and it has kept the rust at bay for the last 7 years so far.

User

Plastics can be lubricated with Silicone sprays. Theoretically silicon spray could probably serve as a rust preventative if it forms a film on metal. But using silicone spray as a metal lubricant is a bad idea. I tried it once... I "lubed" my issue Beretta with Holts silicone spray once. The trigger pull went up to about 40 Kg's and the slide felt like it was galling against the frame rails. I ended up having to clean it with brake parts cleaner and the lubing it with real oil...don't use silicone spray on metal.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast