Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Silicon spray as a protection film

Gives new insight intoguys refering to their weapon " this is my baby"

+1 on Fluid Film. Have used it in my rifle and my air rifle for over 5 years now with no issues.

Banned

Just bought a tin of Fluid Film - it had better be something else.
    R285 +vat a tin.​ I am expecting it to do very much.

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    Fluid Film says it's lanolin. It should work very nicely as a case lube.
    Very interesting.

What are the properties of lanolin? Does it dry to the touch? Does it not remain a greasy mess?

I have pure lanolin at home and have used it to lube o-rings etc, but I wouldn't dream of putting that stuff on my guns.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Very interesting.

What are the properties of lanolin? Does it dry to the touch? Does it not remain a greasy mess?

I have pure lanolin at home and have used it to lube o-rings etc, but I wouldn't dream of putting that stuff on my guns.
    This is how guns on submarines survived WW2. Lanolin functions as rust preventative by physical barrier. Chemically, it is largely a wax. EXTREME pressure lubricant. Do not get it on a machine tool. Tapers and slides will not lock, but your machine tool won't rust!

I have a suspicion that some of the proprietary gun lubricants include lanolin in their formulation.

Banned

most natural stock care products have lanolin and bees wax.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Very interesting.

Banned

so many natural and of yester year products were based on bees wax and lanolin - both incredible substances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    This is how guns on submarines survived WW2. Lanolin functions as rust preventative by physical barrier. Chemically, it is largely a wax. EXTREME pressure lubricant. Do not get it on a machine tool. Tapers and slides will not lock, but your machine tool won't rust!

I have a suspicion that some of the proprietary gun lubricants include lanolin in their formulation.

I use Fluid Film. But I spray it on a piece of cloth. And wipe outside of firearms and reloading machines. I have even wiped my Daughters Trampoline frame and Netball post over a year ago. And its outside in sun and rain. It has no rust at all after a year.

BUT!!! Do not use it as a lubricant on slide rails. When it sprayed on and dries out. It becomes a jelly like goo. And it then does not help to move freely.

Ive once put it on a 22pistol. It could not push slide back far enough to chamber the new round. The Gunsmith laughed at me. And said I should never use fluid film as a lubricant. Its not made for that.

I was at Honda the other day with my Integra bike. Told the guy the seat was slightly squeeky when I open it to fill up fuel.
    He sprayed some Wurtz spray on. That stuff is unbelievably slippery and clingy. Have not used it. But where he sprayed over a month ago the Wurtz is sitting. And has not become jelly as the Fluid film would have done.

Banned

Wurtz is sitting. And has not become jelly as the Fluid film would have done. - shooty
    Shit please dont tell me I should have bought Wurtz *******************

LOL. Treeman. No i have not used Wurtz. Just seeing the effects where Honda sprayed it.
    Curious myself how it will work on firearms.
    Just dont spray a ton of fluid film in your slide rails. Wipe most off. The excess will become jelly like.
    I have at least 3 tins of Fluid Film at home. I love it for rust prevention.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast