Default Fireproof Gun safes.

Good day everybody!!

I hope I am posting in the right section, I couldn't find any thing to do with safes. My question to you guys (and ladies) is fire proof firearm safes for rifles probably a 6- 10 gun safe. Is there such a beast and if there is where does one find and buy them? Don't want my little babies becoming pig iron!!!

Thank you very much for the replies and look forward to your responses!!

User

Default Re: Fireproof Gun safes.

I cant help you find the safe, but i can tell you i have heard first hand accounts of the sickening feeling of ammo in a safe with the firearms going off because of a house fire. The guns were toast, apparently its not nice...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Markjarman View Post
    Good day everybody!!

I hope I am posting in the right section, I couldn't find any thing to do with safes. My question to you guys (and ladies) is fire proof firearm safes for rifles probably a 6- 10 gun safe. Is there such a beast and if there is where does one find and buy them? Don't want my little babies becoming pig iron!!!

Thank you very much for the replies and look forward to your responses!!
    Get hold of Mutual Safes. They make fire resistant safes and should be able to help you.
    Just a note.... those aren't cheap.

User

User

I asked the same when I looked for a safe... spoke to mutual and magnum safes, and was told straight out, they CAN supply, but they do not believe I would even bother to reply once I heard the price... reality is that, if your house burns down, there ARE more important things (people) to worry about than your rifles. they should be insured...

so from my point of view, do not bother with fireproof safes...

User

Just out of interest sake, can a safe be rigged with a fire extinguishing powder of some sort? Yes it will be a crapload of cleaning up but better than a melted/blown up FA

User

We had a fire in 2010 at my cousins home had about 9 firearms in the safe the safe never melted but the ammo did start firing due to the heat from the whole lot only the lm4 was repairable the rest were all total right offs which include a bxp a 1911,protecta, cz 75 and more

User

Quote Originally Posted by fkritzinger View Post
    I asked the same when I looked for a safe... spoke to mutual and magnum safes, and was told straight out, they CAN supply, but they do not believe I would even bother to reply once I heard the price... reality is that, if your house burns down, there ARE more important things (people) to worry about than your rifles. they should be insured...

so from my point of view, do not bother with fireproof safes...
    I concur, actually.
    If you are that concerned, move your ammo/powder into another safe.
    I've seen small (office) fire resistant safes and they go for like R4-8k for 400x400x400mm.

User

A Cat2 SABS standards should be able to withstand two hours of fire without the temprature rising enough to make papermoney go to ash.
    In my opinion that would be sufficient to prevent an ammunition cookoff. The only problem is the size, price and weight off these safes. My safe that is 1.7m tall, weights 1.5tons and would cost 25k to replace. You can however find them at auctions for cheaper, but then the transport is your own problem.
    if you own firearms in excess of 50k, I would advise you to get a real safe and not a metal box of 3-6mm. The other option would be to store all your ammo and proppelants in a separate safe. Retrofitting your current safe with fireboarding might also safe your firearms.
    Otherwise check with your insurer- if the value of your guns are high they will anyway demand a CAT2 safe.
    Hope that help

User

Quote Originally Posted by HJordaan View Post
    Just out of interest sake, can a safe be rigged with a fire extinguishing powder of some sort? Yes it will be a crapload of cleaning up but better than a melted/blown up FA
    The problem is that the temprature cause the propellants and primers to ignite, which doesnt need oxygen to sustain the reaction. Fire Extinguishers work on the principle that it limits oxygen to the fire and smother it.
    A sprinkler system in your safe area and a decent smoke alarm would be a better bet.