Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Home security camera alert system

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm looking to get a security system that will alert me if someone is in my yard so I can take necessary precautions. So far it seems like going the camera route would be best as then I can see where they are/ where they're entering from. I'm looking at installing a few Camera's (max 4 but only one for now - will add more later once budget allows).

What would be best? I've heard Hikvision is good. How does one set these cameras up with motion detection and where and what price would I be looking at (JHB)? Looking for a camera that will be able to send a msg alerting me or sound an alarm.

Are they any recommendations for a cost effective alarm system? And can it be linked up to the cameras motion detection?

What equipment would I need? I do plan on doing the installation my self to try keep costs down abit.

I'm very new to this and have no prior knowledge so please forgive my ignorance.

Regards Jason

User

Default Re: Home security camera alert system

Intro first in the relevant section, and then I am sure someone will be along to help.

User

Quote Originally Posted by JR1911 View Post
    Hi guys,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm looking to get a security system that will alert me if someone is in my yard so I can take necessary precautions. So far it seems like going the camera route would be best as then I can see where they are/ where they're entering from. I'm looking at installing a few Camera's (max 4 but only one for now - will add more later once budget allows).

What would be best? I've heard Hikvision is good. How does one set these cameras up with motion detection and where and what price would I be looking at (JHB)? Looking for a camera that will be able to send a msg alerting me or sound an alarm.

Are they any recommendations for a cost effective alarm system? And can it be linked up to the cameras motion detection?

What equipment would I need? I do plan on doing the installation my self to try keep costs down abit.

I'm very new to this and have no prior knowledge so please forgive my ignorance.

Regards Jason
    From the guys that I know with outdoor motion detection cameras, they are more of a pain than anything else.

They tend to be quite sensitive to motion, so that tree branch moving, leaves falling, bird flying, all tend to become quite annoying when you get constant false alarms

They are are also sensitive to changes in light, so you get alerts when this happens as well :-)

The Voice Alert systems have served me well. You know where the BG's are too. Minimal hassles with false alarms.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Sorry about that, forgot my manners there...

@HitMan_ Thank you for your reply, that may be a bit of a problem as we have a few random pigeons that love to crap everywhere and they will be directly in the line of sight of the camera

User

Quote Originally Posted by HitMan_ View Post
    They are are also sensitive to changes in light, so you get alerts when this happens as well :-)
    And this bit tends to happen even with high end equipment.

User

Went through his recently.

First. if you want to be alerted about movement in your yard get sensors. They are reliable and although the better ones cost more than a camera they are very good at sensing movement and not giving false alarms. They are also low on power use so it is rather easy to setup that they still work when to power is down.

As for cameras.
    1.DON'T BY THE CHEAP STUFF. I'm on my second set of cameras as the first set had 3.6mm lenses. That's great if you have see 20m away but if you want to see out from a corner you will need 2.8mm lenses or even a bit less. Also the cheaper cameras picture quality deteriorates over time. Ant that time isn't much.
    2.GO DIGITAL. There are very few options available in analog and they are getting fewer. Digital will give you more camera options as well and the cameras are now typically the same price of analog or cheaper. Some digital systems will allow you to mark areas on screen that should act as a motion sensor. It's digital you have many options.

As for your property layout you want to be able to see the areas that the sensors cover. This way you can check the camera on looking at the same zone that was triggered.
    Only one camera is not enough for a typical house. 4 may work if well planned. I have 8 and would not mind one more. If you have large outside areas that you want to clearly see at night consider installing additional IR illumination. The ones on the cameras work but they can't light up everything.

Hope this helps. I did mine as a self installation and I spent double of what I budgeted.

User

Sorry for the slight hijack.
    @The Beast how sensitive are the cameras to thunderstorms? I am also looking to install some but we frequently get some big lightning strikes. (Granted when is does eventually rain )

User

Quote Originally Posted by JR1911 View Post
    Sorry about that, forgot my manners there...

@HitMan_ Thank you for your reply, that may be a bit of a problem as we have a few random pigeons that love to crap everywhere and they will be directly in the line of sight of the camera

User

Quote Originally Posted by :Struis: View Post
    Sorry for the slight hijack.
    @The Beast how sensitive are the cameras to thunderstorms? I am also looking to install some but we frequently get some big lightning strikes. (Granted when is does eventually rain )
    You can see the lightning flashes on the screen

My system is properly grounded. This will be the first rainy season so we will have to see.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast