Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Home security camera alert system

Regarding digital vs analogue, one thing that the digital guys fail to tell you is that the standards are rapidly changing so what head unit works worth today's cameras won't necessarily work worth tomorrow's cameras and the rate of change is increasing not decreasing. There are many codecs (main ones being mpeg2, h264 and now h265), resolutions, encapsulation formats and then physical delivery formats.
    Biggest advantage of analogue is that it is standard yams had been for many years, (ok if you want to nit pick them two standards, PAL and NTSC, and if you really want to not pick them add in SECAM) so if you system takes an analogue camera it will work with all analogue cameras.

Not saying analogue is better, just putting out there that it does have one advantage.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

User

I like digital. I can see the picture on my tablet / smartphone from anywhere where my WiFi signal is received. The actual camera's are connected via UTP directly to my home "backbone" and therefore cannot be easily jammed. I also have a server which is constantly recording everything. I manually delete and clear the files every week.

User

CCTV cameras are great for recording what happened! No good for detection / prevention of anything thats going to happenn. Get a good outdoor detection system (sensors & beams). Look at Text-alert, Roboguard or similar products.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Donafrica1 View Post
    The Voice Alert systems have served me well. You know where the BG's are too. Minimal hassles with false alarms.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
    Second this. Besides the system that alert me where the BG's are, I've added cameras as well. Then I can also see what is happening outside.

The PIR's are battery driven, so I use rechargeable 9v. The other nice thing is, the base station is movable, so I take it to central place while we still busy inside. I've even had the system outside with me at the braai.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Thank you to everyone who commented!!

Have a bit more direction now as to what I want.

Will definitely be getting camera's but early detection is key so I'm really looking at the Robogaurd / Voice Alert System now then will add on camera's later.

I do see that the systems are pretty pricey, 4-5k and only comes with one outdoor sensor, additional sensors are 1.5 to 2k. Is this the going rate?

User

Have a chat to the guys at Regal security. They have given me very good service. Your initial setup requires the power supply and a few other things. the sensors are in the 1.5 to 2k region. And cabling lots of cabling.

User

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    Regarding digital vs analogue, one thing that the digital guys fail to tell you is that the standards are rapidly changing so what head unit works worth today's cameras won't necessarily work worth tomorrow's cameras and the rate of change is increasing not decreasing. There are many codecs (main ones being mpeg2, h264 and now h265), resolutions, encapsulation formats and then physical delivery formats.
    Biggest advantage of analogue is that it is standard yams had been for many years, (ok if you want to nit pick them two standards, PAL and NTSC, and if you really want to not pick them add in SECAM) so if you system takes an analogue camera it will work with all analogue cameras.

Not saying analogue is better, just putting out there that it does have one advantage.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
    Have gone for the original analogue alert system myself.

A whole pack of dogs, of varying ages, let's call it Gen1 to Gen3, and they are an integral part of my layers, all working together to keep my family in good health.

User

Yip.
    +1 for movable biological knives to add to the security layer.

I have also tried the motion sensing settings on my IP camera's and get way to much false alarms to be of any use.

Quote Originally Posted by JR1911 View Post
    Thank you to everyone who commented!!

Have a bit more direction now as to what I want.

Will definitely be getting camera's but early detection is key so I'm really looking at the Robogaurd / Voice Alert System now then will add on camera's later.

I do see that the systems are pretty pricey, 4-5k and only comes with one outdoor sensor, additional sensors are 1.5 to 2k. Is this the going rate?
    Voice alert is not rain proof, so put it under a shelter. Lasted < a week here in CT.

Rather go for IP cameras and on-screen zones.

User

Mine is up in the sun and rain, going on 3 years now

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast