Default Re: PRICE MATCHING: YOUR VIEW

I'm a charou, we always ask or negotiate a discount

User

Quote Originally Posted by da_asassin View Post

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    I'm going to use gunshop names here because I think its appropriate. I was in the market for a Howa 1500 heavy barrel .308. Camdix had for 10K. My LGS, Ihawu, had it for 12,5K. I spoke to Ihawu and asked if they could meet me halfway as I'd prefer to support them. They looked at the numbers and said the margins were very tight. So I said thanks, ordered the rifle from camdix, and paid RAM R600 to courier it to me in Durban. RAM arrived at my home a day early, while I was working on set. I made a quick call- Ihawu were happy to receive the delivery for me. When I went there to fetch the rifle, they even helped me put the barreled action into the stock and use their torque wrenches to set everything up properly.

Moral of the story- support local if you can, build good relationships, and generally be lekka
    You're a great oke but P2W ,but i reckon maybe the only guy that could scare Stuart or Clive into submission via looks and stories ha ha :)

User

In the retail space, my view is that sellers are generally price-makers (setting whatever price they feel is appropriate for the items in their stores) while consumers are generally price-takers (deciding if they are willing to pay the price asked by the respective seller).

If the two are too far from an equilibrium point, there is generally no sale. The benefit of competition is that it forces sellers to move their prices closer to the expected price Joe Average is willing to pay. Not doing so simply means Joe will shop elsewhere.

Service plays a part but it depends on the nature of the item in question. Consumable goods are typically bought on price and convenience - if I'm getting the exact same item at two different stores in the same mall (think groceries, for example), with the sake kak service, I'm buying from the cheapest one as trying to negotiate with Checkers to match PnP is simply not worth the effort.

Speciality goods generally offer greater price elasticity with greater scope for negotiation - Rands spent and relationships built do go a long way towards that negotiation!

User

Quote Originally Posted by da_asassin View Post
    My friend ,you deserve to win all of Durban's internet coverage for the rest of the week ,at the best price of course my larnie ;)

User

In the end it comes down to willing buyer ,willing seller ,if you are not happy go elsewhere ,my example being.
    I buy a shitload of engineering supplies from one good supplier ,but their rates aren't always the cheapest ,I can jump between suppliers as i wish but i know if I phone my main guy at 2 in the morning while stuck in the harbour on a job they will make a plan for me ,in the end it's all about customer service and how badly you need or want the end product ,sometimes a machine breaks down and I can provide the parts needed at 3 times the price ,but at 7 days earlier ,I need to pay people to make and package/handle and send the parts off.

Never ever forget that everything you have ever owned and will own was bought by your time and skills provided by you and that that part of time you gave up can never be bought back by money again ,
    fuckit the extra money spent on couriers or the extra special service I receive from being loyal to a good supplier is well worth it in terms of the family time I win back ,and in the end I reckon that's what we all actually try to achieve.

User

Bear in mind that there is a price below which you cannot go because of your specific overheads. It then makes sense to lose the sale thsn to make it at a loss.

Banned

Today i had to confirm a large order with my timber merchant.
    Total came to 56k. Spoke to the man, told him that this is potentially the first of six exact orders, and to speak to his bosses for a better price.
    I also mentioned that, we charous always ask for a discount.
    My simple philosophy, if you ask a person for a discount, and you get 1, you are lucky. If you ask and then get no discount, well, its one of those things.
    But, you'd never know if you don't ask.
    The guy comes back to me an hour later, and says that he's giving me an almost 3k discount!
    Whoop whoop!
    If i felt too shy to ask, I'd never get it.
    And please don't get me wrong, I'm not 1 of those people that push for a discount, or dictate to people what I want to pay.
    I hate that!
    I ask politely, if i may receive a discount.
    At best, you get a discount. At worst, the person tells you to F off

User

When I ask for discount they usually tell me he does not work there anymore

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CZ Fan View Post
    When I ask for discount they usually tell me he does not work there anymore
    Bwa ha ha ha ha ha

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3