Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default PRICE MATCHING: YOUR VIEW

Hey guys.

I had an interesting and unexpected experience this morning from a GS.

Here's the situation:
    I phone this specific GS (GS#1) (which I actually really like and have referred various people to them), for a quote on product X. Feeling that the quote received was a bit excessive I phone a second GS (GS#2) for a price. GS#2 quotes me R170.00 less, however I have to wait 2 weeks for delivery, (on a R700.00 item) than GS#1. Due to the fact that I prefer GS#1, and would rather support them, I give them a call setting out the situation and asking whether they can come closer to the price as quoted by GS#2. The response was "Here you know you'll get the product for sure as we have it in stock, and should we have to start competing for prices we're gonna end up having to close our doors".

My question is what is the general opinion on requesting a store to match a price? Without trying to play them off against each other and get the item for free, just merely price comparing and letting your preferred store know what the available price is and asking them to rather come down to within a few R of the other GS.

PS. This thread is not meant for store bashing but rather to see whether I'm in the wrong and if I'm not, hopefully it might help a few people.

*If the shop owners weigh in it will be appreciated to hear the viewpoint from the other side.

Regards
    H

User

Default Re: PRICE MATCHING: YOUR VIEW

some stores have heavier overheads than others, simply shop and buy where you feel the price is better

i feel it impossible to ask a shop to match a price as we have no idea on the supply chain behind the product, were they both bough from the same distributor? did gunshop 2 buy in bulk and get discounted pricing?

too many variables

User

You're welcome to ask, they're welcome to say no. Shops are always juggling costs and profit margin and each one will have different thresholds for how close to the bone they're willing to get (and different hard limits at which they'll be making a loss).
    When I was in retail, potential customers used to make stupid offers all the time and it got a little annoying but if someone came with a reasonable price match request I'd usually have a look and decide whether it was worth absorbing.

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    some stores have heavier overheads than others, simply shop and buy where you feel the price is better

i feel it impossible to ask a shop to match a price as we have no idea on the supply chain behind the product, were they both bough from the same distributor? did gunshop 2 buy in bulk and get discounted pricing?

too many variables
    Quote Originally Posted by Herne View Post
    You're welcome to ask, they're welcome to say no. Shops are always juggling costs and profit margin and each one will have different thresholds for how close to the bone they're willing to get (and different hard limits at which they'll be making a loss).
    When I was in retail, potential customers used to make stupid offers all the time and it got a little annoying but if someone came with a reasonable price match request I'd usually have a look and decide whether it was worth absorbing.
    Ahhh makes sense thanx guys. It's Frontier Bullets so doubt that the Supplier's pricing would differ unless the amounts bought/ordered differed also I don't think that there would be a middle man (I might be wrong here).

User

similarly as to the question about courier fees... we are talking about a shop that had to lay out the cash, in order to have the stock on hand. the other shop has to place an order for the item, they do not carry the risk of the item laying in store for months or years. so they CAN sell at a slightly lower margin. in my mind, the only destiction between the 2 prices are store 1 HAS IT, and if you really want it you will buy it, even at that price. support them!

Store 2 is the opportunist. they CHOSE not to have the item in stock, now that you want it, they can get it for you, BUT you now have to wait to get it, albeit at a MARGINAL lower price...

I look at it this way... I support my LGS. they charge R59 MORE per tin of S365, but they are 1km from my home. I can get the powder cheaper at S&O, but I have to drive to the other side of Johannesburg for it... I will use more diesel and take more time than what my R59 is worth... and I can just pop into my LGS after work, on my way home...

I support them.

just my 2c

R170 on R700 is hardly marginal. Its about 25%.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

fkritzinger, I see you point thanx.

But where I see this situation as a bit different and would like to try keep the thread as "they have it in stock" and just to price matching to prevent it from going south.

GS#1 and GS#2 are both retail stores which regularly stocks and Frontier bullets, this is just the odd occasion that GS#2 doesn't have stock. For the convenience and keeping fuel cost in mind I would happily pay an extra R50.00 (hence why I asked them to just try meet me a bit lower), but to pay 30% (R170.00) more to save me a 5km drive (I am fairly often nearby to GS#2).

User

I'm going to use gunshop names here because I think its appropriate. I was in the market for a Howa 1500 heavy barrel .308. Camdix had for 10K. My LGS, Ihawu, had it for 12,5K. I spoke to Ihawu and asked if they could meet me halfway as I'd prefer to support them. They looked at the numbers and said the margins were very tight. So I said thanks, ordered the rifle from camdix, and paid RAM R600 to courier it to me in Durban. RAM arrived at my home a day early, while I was working on set. I made a quick call- Ihawu were happy to receive the delivery for me. When I went there to fetch the rifle, they even helped me put the barreled action into the stock and use their torque wrenches to set everything up properly.

Moral of the story- support local if you can, build good relationships, and generally be lekka

User

Buy where you feel comfortable with the price and service. What grates my carrot is shops/service providers getting angry with you when you ask about pricing. Everyone is trying to make their Rands go further, the shops too but don't bite my head off when I try support local but you're way off on pricing. Would the local guy rather me not even inquire and take my money out of town straight away. There is a certain company in town that is the only one of its kind that is way over-priced. I am still not popular with the owners for getting out of town pricing... (non-firearm related.)

On another note, trying to support my local gun shop, I ask them to get me pricing on a certain well known FA-related brand which they don't stock but are able to buy from the importers. Their wholesale cost (the guy showed me) is almost what the importer is retailing the goods for... I ended up importing those things myself.

User

if it costs me less petrol to drive to another place and buy it there for less.... I'm driving there.
    or costs less to courier it from another shop... I'm ordering it there.

no point spending money at a loss, for a minor saving. like driving out R100 in petrol for a R50 price difference.
    if driving or courier costs me less at the end of the day, I'll get it at the other place..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast