Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 1882 Black Powder hunt at Weltevreden farm 2017 ( 3rd hunt)

Hallo Gert I am glad you are getting there keep it up and keep us informed.

Banned

Is that target offhand or with a rest? I would think it should be a better grouping if with a rest.

Maybe it has been stated already but what is the twist rate on the barrel?

User

I will be looking at what rifling twist the MH has. I am sure I can go to a tighter grouping if I use 85 gn black powder...

User

Martini Henry owners, if you need Martini Henry MagTech 24 ga brass , I have access to a source in America, price is excellent..although if you can make a group purchase to divide the postage costs it definitely will be worth your while. A brass casing works out at R26/ MH brass..PM me for the ordering details..

User

Update:
    I worked on S335 loads for my MH today. This got me to a starting point to commence with a black powder load. This smokeless load is 40% of a 80 gn ffg black powder load. I used .462 soft lead bullets I received from Doc Wallace Vosloo in Stellenbosch ....
    I now have the correct diameter bullet, .462 and correct weight bullet 480 gn soft lead bullet...here is a target with the results...the distance was 50 meters,I will start shooting from 80 meters at my next load development.
    The target on the left side is with a load of S 335 , 35gn, .458 bullet weighing 550gn. also at 50 meters...

Attached Images Attached Images

User

Gert, its a known crime to shoot smokeless powder in a Martini Henry.
    Problem is not the volume, but the higher pressure curve and peak pressure. Having said that, shooting a MH with blackpowder is way more fun anyway.
    Glad your groupings improved. Suspect its due to the correct size bullets.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    Gert, its a known crime to shoot smokeless powder in a Martini Henry.
    Problem is not the volume, but the higher pressure curve and peak pressure. Having said that, shooting a MH with blackpowder is way more fun anyway.
    Glad your groupings improved. Suspect its due to the correct size bullets.
    Finkelstein, you are correct, it is much more fun to shoot the MH with black powder....although it is a schlep to clean the brass...
    Standard volume to use smokeless powder is 40% of the black powder loads.

It does not matter where the pressure curve peak, or the pressure peak occur , as long as it is within the 25000 psi or 175 Mpa parameters.(CIP specified 175Mpa)
    ( African Dangerous Game Cartridges- Pierre van der Walt)

As pointed out by Pierre vd Walt, if a nitro propellant capable of generating 1, 350 fps with a 480 gn soft lead bullet with pressures below 25,382 psi (175 Mpa ) from an original Martini Henry barrel is used it seems a good reason to use nitro propellant .

Keep in mind the higher the load density in the case the less problematic the hand-load.( Pierre van der Walt- African Dangerous Game Cartridges is the best book about calibers you will find..no other book compares with this book)

The key to shooting a MH accurately is the correct diameter to your MH bore soft lead bullet...as pointed out by Pierre van der Walt and other knowledgeable MH shooters, take a look at this forum....
    http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.c...1#.WOnNF4h97IU

These members will always be glad to assist you when getting the MH rifles to shoot properly. There are suppliers of MH molds/bullets as well.

When a few MH owners place an order for bullets or molds and devide the cost of shipping it make sense to order from abroad..I usually as a visiting hunter to bring me the components I bought from X-Ring Services ..Marty is the owner and he really goes out of his way to assist you.I will be working on a black powder load today using the same .462 dia bullet.
    What I did noticed is by using large pistol primers I noticed several hang fires ..withing a mili second of pulling the trigger there was some type of lag....I think I will from now on use large rifle primers..maybe members can give more insight into this phenomenon...

User

Gert, just remember the cases you bought from me is for Large Pistol primer. Even though the same diametre as large rifle, the large pistol is thinner, so large rifle will protrude, which might be a problem with the falling block.

User

Replacing the spring on the striker fire mechanism might cure your hang fires. I have shot more than a hundred shots through my MH without one hang fire. See Martinihenry.com for replacement springs.

User

And don't forget. That isn't your Martini you have. It belonged to others before you and will belong to others after you are gone. Look after it, and pass it on with pride. It deserves it." Malcolm Cobb, The Martini Henry Note-book
    To find things Martini go to: WWW.MartiniHenry.com

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast